• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Outdoor security light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtec dave

Regular EF Member
Hi

I'm just getting myself verified with Elecsa and I'm wiring my 1st job..Just come across a little sticking point!!

Do I wire an outdoor security light off my lighting circuit or do I take it from a FCU spurred off the power circuit?

The only reason I ask is that I always see security lights on spurs, could this be because they were added later?

Cheers

i=p/u

Electrician's Arms
just to prtect the light going outside which is more like to cause a fault... which is probably manufacture instructions

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
you can do it either way to comply with regs. however, i always ( if possible) feed from a 2 pole FCU. then if there's a fault on the outside ( maybe by water ingress) it can easily be isolated by the client, thus allowing RCD/MCB to be reset.

HandySparks

Forum Mentor
If it's a higher power light, such as a 500W flood taking just over 2A, then you might put it on the power circuit rather than overloading the lighting circuit. You need to check what the existing loading on the circuit is and choose accordingly.

dtec dave

Regular EF Member
cheers...I have 3 security lights and 2 outdoor lights to fit, so think I am going to run them on thier own separate lighting circuit..good idea??

cook1e

Regular EF Member
If you can do it that would be a better way, think about how you can run the cables, which certificate you need to issue etc.
Is the mains up to standard ? have you got enough money in the job etc

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.