Discuss Outdoor security light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I'm just getting myself verified with Elecsa and I'm wiring my 1st job..Just come across a little sticking point!!

Do I wire an outdoor security light off my lighting circuit or do I take it from a FCU spurred off the power circuit?

The only reason I ask is that I always see security lights on spurs, could this be because they were added later?

Cheers

you can do it either way to comply with regs. however, i always ( if possible) feed from a 2 pole FCU. then if there's a fault on the outside ( maybe by water ingress) it can easily be isolated by the client, thus allowing RCD/MCB to be reset.

If it's a higher power light, such as a 500W flood taking just over 2A, then you might put it on the power circuit rather than overloading the lighting circuit. You need to check what the existing loading on the circuit is and choose accordingly.

cheers...I have 3 security lights and 2 outdoor lights to fit, so think I am going to run them on thier own separate lighting circuit..good idea??

If you can do it that would be a better way, think about how you can run the cables, which certificate you need to issue etc.
Is the mains up to standard ? have you got enough money in the job etc

Martin

Reply to Outdoor security light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock