Discuss Outdoor Socket Supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jt123

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I am in the process of having some garden renovations done and would like to have an additional outdoor socket installed. I have a Cabin in the garden; a 10mm cable runs from the DB on a 32a RCBO up to an exterior Wiska box, where it connects to a SWA and runs underground to the cabin.

Is it acceptable to have a socket using 2.5mm T&E (in conduit) from the Wiska box? Presumably with a FCU to fuse it down to 13a in line? It would be a short run of 2.5mm (about 30cm).

I am not an electrician and I fully intend to get a qualified to do the work, I do however have an interest in these things and tinker about with Auto electrics hence why I like to have an understanding of what needs to happen :)

Thanks for any advice.

Depends how the cable is jointed. If it’s in sleeved crimps then I would not Try to attach another cable to it.
if it’s in connector blocks then you could dab in a 3rd cable but again it could already be very tight squeeze so not ideal.
might be easier to come of a local socket in the house...

as the wiska box is on a 32A RCBO, you could spur off to a socket in 6.0mm ( Iz = 47A ) without fusing down. if you are goingto employ a sparks, post your location. one of is is probably close.

I used to have some big 50a Bakelite connector block which would just about accept 2 x 10mm conductors , getting an additional 6mm in would have been difficult

henley blocks in the wiska box ?

If it's a single/double socket outlet, yes you can use 2.5mm^2 to feed a spur, no need for a FCU as the plug's fuses will provide overload protection for the cable.

However:

Depends on how the existing swa/internal cable is connected - may not be possible to physically add.

This can only support one socket outlet - if you need to add two separate outlets, either need to use 6mm^2 or use an FCU with 2.5mm^2

This is all subject to an electrical test to ensure the available fault current will trip the RCBO in less than 0.4 sec, this is done by measuring/or calculating the Zs value. Your electrician will be able to work this out upfront

although it would be safe, either way, the circuit is a distribution circuit to the cabin and it seems wrong to add aceessories to a distribution circuit.

strange... both pete and i both have identical points, 18666. if points make prizes, i'll take mine in used 20's and 10's, no consecutive serial numbers.

strange... both pete and i both have identical points, 18666. if points make prizes, i'll take mine in used 20's and 10's, no consecutive serial numbers.

The last 3 digits are ominous...
Don't even know how many I've got.... not that I'm bothered about it. I might just have 666

The last 3 digits are ominous...
Don't even know how many I've got.... not that I'm bothered about it. I might just have 666
youhave 18,688. close but no prize. i'm on 18,688 also. must be a brexit/covid/5g conspiracy. big brother dan is watching. if so, pleeese dan, bring back smileys and the facility to score out words.

Never really noticed the trophy points thing before, but I've also got 18688 apparently. I think something is wrong!

Thanks all for your replies. The T&E & SWA connect in a big white connector block in the Wiska box (60a I guess?). I was wrong, the cable running from house is actually 6mm not 10mm- which may make adding an extra cable easier. I will post a picture later of the connections. Again, thanks for the info. I have an electrician coming next week to do some other work for me so will get him to take a look. Your replies just give me a good idea as to what may be needed, so thanks again.

Thanks all for your replies. The T&E & SWA connect in a big white connector block in the Wiska box (60a I guess?). I was wrong, the cable running from house is actually 6mm not 10mm- which may make adding an extra cable easier. I will post a picture later of the connections. Again, thanks for the info. I have an electrician coming next week to do some other work for me so will get him to take a look. Your replies just give me a good idea as to what may be needed, so thanks again.

Could then use a 3 way Wago 221 connector or a Wago item no. 773-173.

all wagos are 1 way. they may be 2,3,4, ... 8 ports, but still 1 way

Ok, I'll agree with you there mate... But it's also refered to 'ways' in some catalogues, like RS.

Outdoor Socket Supply 1605888003324 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Outdoor Socket Supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock