Discuss Outdoor socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am going to put a socket into some brickwork surrounding a BBQ area. Now all the external sockets I have seen are all surface ones about 3 inches deep this sort of skt.
skt1.jpg
Now I thought of using the type of socket one gets on the outside wall of a caravan like this which will sit more flush to the brickwork.
skt2.jpg

Any other options/opinions gratefully received.

Not got a link by any chance. I have searched youtube and cannot find anything re flush sockets or a guy called Keiran.
@westward10 has posted the link.
Don’t take the installation seriously whatever you do. Probably one of the worst botches I’ve ever seen in my life. Well worth a watch for a laugh though.
Best advice I can give you is pop to a local wholesaler, explain what your trying to do and they will be able to show you various designs which look aesthetically pleasing. ?
Also just bear in mind that installing a outdoor socket is best left to a qualified electrician as it will need additional protection and testing and inspecting correctly.

Every time I watch this I think no he isn't going to, yes he does. Do we think he ever connected a cpc to the actual socket front plate.

British General IP66 13A 2-Gang DP Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Socket - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-ip66-13a-2-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/67928

Our electrician fitted these. I think I messed up his tea order one day and this is how he got his own back. They are very difficult to un-clip and clip-shut - but as a result are always very well sealed closed hence IP66. I have to kick them open and closed - perhaps my age though. Actually I am content - they will stand the test of time. But, if you want/need easy open and close be careful what you buy.

British General IP66 13A 2-Gang DP Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Socket - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-ip66-13a-2-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/67928

Our electrician fitted these. I think I messed up his tea order one day and this is how he got his own back. They are very difficult to un-clip and clip-shut - but as a result are always very well sealed closed hence IP66. I have to kick them open and closed - perhaps my age though. Actually I am content - they will stand the test of time. But, if you want/need easy open and close be careful what you buy.
They are the big bulky jobs I do not want in this case.

Having seen the video methinks I will stick with the caravan socket.

Isn't that caravan socket only waterproof when fixed to a flat panel though? Not sure how it would fair on a brick wall.

Isn't that caravan socket only waterproof when fixed to a flat panel though? Not sure how it would fair on a brick wall.

Well the caravan wall is flat agreed but if you have ever taken one off there is usually about half a tube of sealant stuffed behind. I think a caravan socket sealed to the brickwork will be fine especially as it is not exposed to direct rain.

Reply to Outdoor socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net