Discuss Outdoor switch advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JB97

I wanted to post in DIY section but can't do a new post so I will do it here. I bought a 2 way outdoor switch from Maplins. I have wired the power supply as per instructions but those for the appliance do not make sense to me. here is what I have done so far:

Outdoor switch advice {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
This would appear to be correct for the power supply
Next instruction for connection of appliance is :

"Connect the brown wire into the terminal marked X , connect the blue wire into the terminal block."

OK so I have brown and blue wires for an appliance - where do they go as I only have one X left - so if the brown goes into the spare x, where does the blue go. (I know where the green goes!) Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance - don't know why I can't post in the right section for non experts)

Hi JB97,

You now have access to post your questions in the DIY forum.

JB97, without being patronising, you are way out of your depth here, and need to get a local sparks to wire it correctly. get it wrong, you'll either blow a fuse or kill yourself. i know that's blunt, but better blunt than dead. a few forum members are in S.Wales , might help here.

telectrix is right.

I suspect that this is a single pole, two way switch. Whether it's suitable for your purpose, I've no way of knowing. But you're clearly out of your comfort zone, so get a professional electrician in who's fully conversant with this sort of stuff.

Ah yes - out of my comfort zone. Maybe. So I went down to Maplins and a very knowledgeable assisstant pointed out my error but admitted the instructions for the switch were misleading. He didn't charge me either! So obviously the negative goes to an external junction terminal and the live appliance goes into X. So I did a test circuit with the switch between a mains plug and my security light. Worked perfectly. Thanks to the guy in Maplins. Will go outside tomorrow and repeat the wiring and incorporating a junction box splitter to operate 2 lights from the switch. Shan't be paying a sparky for this job but I will take a lot of care, only flicking on the power when I am confident. A switch is an interrupted current on the live so as long as I stick to this principle and trace the connections carefully, the installation should be a relatively straight forward one. Thanks for the input guys - your alarm bells are sufficient to prevent self harm.

Not too sure what you are doing here but I guess its something to do with outdoor wiring and lights? While I dont know the exact work, the only two-pence I will add is that any work completed outdoors is notifiable under Part P of the building regs. If you are not an approved contractor (which I guess from here you arent?) then ensure you report/notify it to your local building control (LABC). It can become a criminal offence if you are discovered!

sorry, badged. you are wrong. lighting attached to the walls of the building is not notifiable. however, any such work should be tested and certed.

....any work completed outdoors is notifiable under Part P of the building regs....

Not strictly true, especially since the changes to Part P in April this year. However the job should be done in accordance with the regs, including testing, which is rarely done correctly, if at all, with DIY work.

I would also say that electrical work outdoors requires a particular set of skills and knowledge that are unusual (to say the least) in the typical householder.

Edit: I see that tel has nipped in before me (as usual!)

sorry, badged. you are wrong. lighting attached to the walls of the building is not notifiable. however, any such work should be tested and certed.

True, but Im not sure if it is just attached to the side of a wall thats why I was intimating I didnt know the exact work being done. But with a junction splitte boxe and two(?) lights I was assuming it was something more than just a spotlight on the back wall! Only JB97 knows that but atleast if he is aware of the potential requirement he can enquire with LABC to confirm!

well, he's had good advice. it's up to him what he does with it. will be on the lookout for " RCD tripping when i switch on outside light". lol.

Reply to Outdoor switch advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock