Discuss Outhouse Consumer Unit and Underground Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kash

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently having my whole house renovated and I am also having a new outhouse built (brick/block cavity wall etc..). We want to put a small kitchen in the outhouse and so will need to run Gas and Electric etc... We will also be putting the boiler and unvented cylinder in the outhouse.

I already know about the trench requirements etc... I would like to know about cable, consumer unit requirements.

I wont be doing any of the work my self and will be bringing a qualified electrician, but I like to know the best approach with these things, which why I am here.

I have read you can spur off the original house CU, as long as you use the side that is not connected to the RCD? Is that even the case when having a oven etc... ? I understand the CU in the house will have it's own RCD so that should cover it, just wanted confirmation?

Also in regards to cable its about 20m (max) from the outhouse to where the current house consumer unit (main fuse) is. What thickness armored cable would be recommend?

We will most likely have to upgrade the existing consumer unit as we are also building a extension and building a dormer and there aren't enough mcb's in the current unit, what would be the recommendation for the size of unit?

The house will be (after extending) 5 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 Reception, a WC, Kitchen then outhouse with another small kitchen (with the boiler and cylinder).

I hope I have provided enough information.

Appreciate any advice given.

Hi,

I am currently having my whole house renovated and I am also having a new outhouse built (brick/block cavity wall etc..). We want to put a small kitchen in the outhouse and so will need to run Gas and Electric etc... We will also be putting the boiler and unvented cylinder in the outhouse.

I already know about the trench requirements etc... I would like to know about cable, consumer unit requirements.

I wont be doing any of the work my self and will be bringing a qualified electrician, but I like to know the best approach with these things, which why I am here.

I have read you can spur off the original house CU, as long as you use the side that is not connected to the RCD? Is that even the case when having a oven etc... ? I understand the CU in the house will have it's own RCD so that should cover it, just wanted confirmation?

Also in regards to cable its about 20m (max) from the outhouse to where the current house consumer unit (main fuse) is. What thickness armored cable would be recommend?

We will most likely have to upgrade the existing consumer unit as we are also building a extension and building a dormer and there aren't enough mcb's in the current unit, what would be the recommendation for the size of unit?

The house will be (after extending) 5 Bed, 2 Bath, 2 Reception, a WC, Kitchen then outhouse with another small kitchen (with the boiler and cylinder).

I hope I have provided enough information.

Appreciate any advice given.
Sorry there is no where near enough information. The best advice any one could give is to get your electrician involved now at design stage. One thing I will say is you would be better with a switch fuse for the distribution circuit for selectivity.

As you said you are employing an electrician to do the work so they will be designing it. The cable size will depend upon many factors including load allowing for diversity (not all loads on together) As for consumer unit size this will depend on what existing circuits you have and additional new ones but the best option would be all RCBO's

I'm also with the above posts. Have a word with the electrician who will be installing and testing the circuit to the outhouse. He/she will tell you what is best.

One option is, add an extra CU next to the existing one. This way you are not touching the existing CU. This will save money. Again, have a word with the electrician. He/she will advice on this.

Not sure I agree with that ... the whole house is being renovated and extended ..

True mate but it sounds like the OP is not touching the existing wiring. I may have misread it... Maybe the OP can clarify please.
There are may ways to skin a cat.. I suggested one... :)

Just wondering why the customer needs quite so much detail about the install...

Could be that the OP is intending to do the job himself or that he is just curious as to what is needed.
If the OP is actually "bringing a qualified electrician" to do the work then they need to have a word with the electrician about the best way to do this and what is needed. After all, the electrician will be putting their name down on the cert and notifying the relevant authorities.

Too many specific questions from the OP. And why don't they ask the spark who will be doing it?

Answers on a postcard (not you Murdoch)

Thank you for the replies.

Couple of points for clarity.

I appreciate an electrician will provide this information, however when you call an electrician, you can end up getting a lot of cowboys, so its good to make sure you have a reasonable understanding of what is required rather then assume all electricians are equal :) - Plus I have OCD :)

PS: Yes the whole house being renovated, new electrics, new plumbing, new plaster, new ceilings etc....

PS2: Yes the system boiler and the cylinder will be in the outhouse, I have spoken to three four plumbers about this and this should be fine. The pipe will be run underground (1m in depth and fully insulated).

Anyway, I managed to get hold of a friend of friend (who is a fully qualified electrician - just too busy to do the job) and went through what I am planning to have done he recommended the following:

He said to take the direct feed from the meter into a new henly blocks. The henly blocks will supply main home CU and the outhouse CU. A 16mm armored cable will be run from the henly to the outhouse CU.

He recommended 16mm, as I will have boiler and kitchen (oven, microwave) in the outhouse.

I spoke to a few other electricians some said I could get away with 10mm but... most said stick with 16mm to be safe.

I wont be doing any of the work my self and will be bringing a qualified electrician

Anyway, I managed to get hold of a friend of friend (who is a fully qualified electrician - just too busy to do the job)

So, who is doing this work?
Shouldn't you be talking to the electrician who will actually be doing the job?

Reply to Outhouse Consumer Unit and Underground Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock