Discuss Outlet in outdoor enclosure - better approach? Feedback wanted. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

curveball

DIY
Reaction score
I have installed and outdoor enclosure to primarily house outdoor network and IoT devices. I need power for PoE injectors, power supplies, etc. The Carlon outdoor enclosure is 12 x 12 x 6 and has a sealed lid attached with screws. I extended the existing outlet (GFCI) by using 1/2 PVC, various fittings and 12ga stranded wire. The outlet installed in the enclosure is outdoor rated. The device screwed to the outlet is an Ethernet surge protector that is grounded/connected to the green ground wire screw inside the box.

p.s. I know the conduit run is a bit wonky - I had to cut a 45 off to get it to mostly level up. Picture looks worse than IRL....

Should I have done this differently? Is there a better way to do it? Thank you in advance for any/all help.IMG_20220513_114100.jpg

I have installed and outdoor enclosure to primarily house outdoor network and IoT devices. I need power for PoE injectors, power supplies, etc. The Carlon outdoor enclosure is 12 x 12 x 6 and has a sealed lid attached with screws. I extended the existing outlet (GFCI) by using 1/2 PVC, various fittings and 12ga stranded wire. The outlet installed in the enclosure is outdoor rated. The device screwed to the outlet is an Ethernet surge protector that is grounded/connected to the green ground wire screw inside the box.

p.s. I know the conduit run is a bit wonky - I had to cut a 45 off to get it to mostly level up. Picture looks worse than IRL....

Should I have done this differently? Is there a better way to do it? Thank you in advance for any/all help.View attachment 97446
Sorry to hurt your feelings but I see many code violations. First off you need GFCI receptacles with bubble covers and the GFCI Receptacles need to be stamped WR for weather resistant. No straps on conduit. You could have easily used Carlin flex instead of hard piping everything.

Sorry to hurt your feelings but I see many code violations. First off you need GFCI receptacles with bubble covers and the GFCI Receptacles need to be stamped WR for weather resistant. No straps on conduit. You could have easily used Carlin flex instead of hard piping everything.
No hurt feelings here - I appreciate the response. The outlet that feeds this is a GFCI - I can certainly swap it out with a GFCI easily enough. The outlet I put in is outdoor and stamped WR. I have seen this done elsewhere in the park when a GFCI is the first in the circuit path.

I agree on the flex, but in my area all the flex was sold out.... so I went with what I could find. I will try to get some wood attached and bridge to it for a strap. The total distance is about 14 inches and I cannot flex it at all.

Do I need bubble covers on an outlet with a permanent cover? The Carlon sealed cover is attached with security screws and will not be removed.

Thank you again for your feedback! I appreciate it.

No hurt feelings here - I appreciate the response. The outlet that feeds this is a GFCI - I can certainly swap it out with a GFCI easily enough. The outlet I put in is outdoor and stamped WR. I have seen this done elsewhere in the park when a GFCI is the first in the circuit path.

I agree on the flex, but in my area all the flex was sold out.... so I went with what I could find. I will try to get some wood attached and bridge to it for a strap. The total distance is about 14 inches and I cannot flex it at all.

Do I need bubble covers on an outlet with a permanent cover? The Carlon sealed cover is attached with security screws and will not be removed.

Thank you again for your feedback! I appreciate it.
You are fine since the receptacle is being fed from a GFCI receptacle. As far as the PVC box goes you and I know that your box will keep out the rain out but an inspector would fell inspection. I know parts are about impossible to find. Good luck

Reply to Outlet in outdoor enclosure - better approach? Feedback wanted. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net