Discuss Outside boxes letting in water in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Toneyz

We have had a few threads on the forum where after installing an IP box with an IP gland it still lets in the water I have just watched the latest efix youtube video with a good IP SWA gland so that you don't get the ingress of water between the two IP components of the gland and the box worth a watch (sorry I don't know how to post up youtube on here maybe someone could post up) about 5 minutes in what are your comments and has anyone installed one? I remember when the push from the scams was not to gland into plastic boxes due to creeping and the solution was to install earth nuts.I bet this will be the next in-thing?

Sometimes what appears to be damage from water getting in is actually condensation which has formed inside the box.
True but I had not seen or use one of those glands before and wondered if anyone had used them.

To be honest Dave I rarely start a post and every time that I do I get it taken off-topic I can see why Dan threw his dummy out of the pram a few months ago.

Its a forum, don't expect not to get castigated. I know some on here have an elites attitude, present company accepted, but we all learn our and others mistakes (use that word lightly).

So post away.

Are these the things?

Stick to bottom entry and apply silicone to screw holes before screwing and after.

Don't use the useless rubber caps supplied with boxes.

Never suffered from wet boxes.

They are made by SWA and are an amalgamation between an IP compression gland and a SWA gland and have an O ring.
Is it cw glands your talking about? I only got them bottom entry unless it's entirely unavoidable as I just don't have full trust in them
[automerge]1568494014[/automerge]
Also I like the Wiska boxes for glanding into as they are already threaded which I would think would greater decrease the chances of water ingress

Are these the things?
I think they were them, so I will revert back to my starting post has anyone used them?

Is it cw glands your talking about? I only got them bottom entry unless it's entirely unavoidable as I just don't have full trust in them
[automerge]1568494014[/automerge]
Also I like the Wiska boxes for glanding into as they are already threaded which I would think would greater decrease the chances of water ingress
I think it is more with the boxes that are drilled out and the coming together of two IP products in their own right. Standard SWA CW glands and the box is ok when on a vertical wall and the glands are on the bottom it is more if they have to go in one of the sides or the box on a horizontal plane.
I would not consider berrying these sort of boxes.

Reply to Outside boxes letting in water in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock