Discuss outside cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I would be grateful of anyones experience on a job I have to do.I have to install 3 outside lights to a house which are all pretty high up.I do have to run a switch wire down to the kitchen via an outside wall.Putting it in conduit will look horrid but would it be better to run t&e on its own.What I cant seem to find out in the regs book is if there is any requirement to run it in conduit below a certain height.Has any one got any ideas of other alternatives.
Thanks

you can clip t&e direct at any height but i dont think it looks any neater than surface conduit its really for you and the client do decide obviously the ideal would be to do as much as poss inside through floors/loft but if not poss i would run in pipe

Sounds like conduit is your only option.

T&E is not really designed to be outside, although, i have seen it done many times.

Some of these have been in bad condition tho, but not all.

We have had to do similar recently, luck has it the downspout gutters were black, so we managed to run very tight up to it as to look in keeping, looked ok, we normally run through roof and look for inside cupboards but on this occasion it would have been a massive job as they had wooden polished interloking flooring through out, impossible really. we used black conduit, did,nt mention that earlier.

I think black round conduit would look better than leaving it bare and I believe uv rays break down the pvc over time.Like you I can run a lot of wires inside but I cant help but come outside for some of it.Someone should produce attractive robust cable for this kind of installation there must be a market for it.Or am I being naive.

Because most of my work was industrial I normally used SWA for such installations, and am inclined towards the same for domestic. Slightly more expensive for materials but a pretty bullet proof job.

Because most of my work was industrial I normally used SWA for such installations, and am inclined towards the same for domestic. Slightly more expensive for materials but a pretty bullet proof job.

In my opinion, i think SWA goes that bit over the top, bullet-proof or not:)...
In this circumstance, i would be opting for black metal conduit, as the plastic stuff can warp and bend due to the environmental changes, athough the customer may like the final decision.:)

(In my opinion, i think SWA goes that bit over the top, bullet-proof or not
outside cable {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
In this circumstance, i would be opting for black metal conduit, as the plastic stuff can warp and bend due to the environmental changes, athough the customer may like the final decision.
outside cable {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
)
Dan, I think with the extra work with threading and bending etc.of pipework it might just be quicker and longer lasting and certainly no more expensive to use the SWA. The SWA would be smaller in size than 20mm pipe so would probably be less obtrusive too. Just my opinion you understand, mostly because I prefer working with SWA rather than pipe. I only use pipe as a last resort. (I might need to come out of retirement to use all the pipe fittings and metal clad gear in the store.)

does nobody use m.i.c.c looks neat when done correctly
and more than suited for conditions winter or summer

Old Dog , Great stuff for dry weather work but 'orrible when it's raining and the damp gets in, before you get the glands on, just the gear to drive the megger nuts. I think I might still have some old pot wrenches and strippers about somewhere.

Thanks for all your advise I think that the customer is gonna go for black plastic conduit.Hes got to look at after all, very thin swa would be the best but until they make it that will have to do.

Old Dog, I know where you're coming from but I was part of a team running in 30,000 meters of the stuff in a silo and didn't want to see another inch of the stuff for quite a while after that. It felt like a million meters.

Hi tuff cable is another optiuon but this a bit pricey. I would use 1.5 3 core SWA using he third core as an earth instead of earthing through the armour

in my humble opinion conduit can look incongruous on a house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to outside cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock