Discuss outside lamps and current regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

officer dibble

I intend to install two outside lamps on a new extension but do not want to fall foul of current regulations. I have decided to run a seperate cable from the consumer unit via a switched FCU to an ordinary junction box fixed underneath the plaster board and drill a hole beneath it through the cavity wall to exit behind the lighting appliance base then cable to the wiring terminals of the lamp unit and then duplicate this arrangment with the other lamp. Will this arrangement comply with existing IET regulations if not what are the correct alternatives?

Yes it will comply, with the IET regulations.
However, unless your cables are to be fed from an existing MCB, you will have to notify your LABC.

Yes, behind plaster board

Not acceptable then my friend...

Joints need to be easily accessible unless maintenance free...you could use Hager MF Junction boxes these use compression instead of screws you see or wago type connectors and enclosure or the best way would be no joints at all, can't you loop in and out of the fittings?...

Not acceptable then my friend...

Joints need to be easily accessible unless maintenance free...you could use Hager MF Junction boxes these use compression instead of screws you see or wago type connectors and enclosure or the best way would be no joints at all, can't you loop in and out of the fittings?...

Yes I can loop in and out of the fittings, I will use that easier option - thanks for the advise.

The simplest option may well be to take a feed from an existing light, under the floor, then drill through the exterior wall to the light, then back under the floor to the next.
You'll probably want a switch, perhaps two, and depending upon where you want it/them will affect how you wire things.

and as spin said, if it's a new circuit it's notifiable. hnbowever if it's a new extension BC are already involved, so you don't need to be a member of a scam, just have BC accept you as qualified. generally, they want a copy of your quals., inc. 2382, and a copy of your EIC. if you power from an existing circuit, then forget part p.

Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations.

Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations.
Not for outdoor lighting or equipment fixed to the exterior of the building which contains the installation.

New circuits whether they go outside or not, require notification.
Equipment fixed to the exterior of buildings such as lights, radon fans and air con do not require notification, unless there are outside connections (i.e. plugs and sockets), or the building is remote and cables have to be run across open space (i.e. underground, along a garden wall or fence or at height on a catenary wire).

You tell me?
The OP first indicated that they intended running the cables back to the CU.
I pointed out, that if the MCB was existing, there would be no requirement for notification.
However I did in a later post suggest that the OP extend the existing lighting circuit.
Obviously, if the OP intends installing a new circuit, it will have to be notified, even if they wait until April.

Reply to outside lamps and current regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock