Discuss outside light tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bigbro

Hi all, advice please....

I have fitted an outside sensor light.( Domestic.) it is less than one meter to the consumer unit. i have used 1.5 twin plus e from the back of the light connected to a five amp fused switched spur socket with a neon indicator then 1.5 again direct into the consumer unit on its own 6 amp mcb. i have connected it to the non rcd side and the rcd side ensuring that the neutral is connected to the correct neutral side.... but it still trips the rcd.

Any advice please.

Thanks

Brendan

you say you've connected to the non RCD side and the RCD side. can't be to both. it's either 1 or the other.

Also if the light is running from its own 6A MCB why have you fused it down to 5A, unless the manufacturers instructions stipulated this? I think you need to dig out your 2330 notes and have a look...

Ok so by using a switched fused spur you have achieved local isolation from the cu (one meter away?)

As above, why have you put a none rcd circuit on both neutral bars?

Thats why it's tripping, imbalance on the neutral line. Take the link out of the none rcd side and next time call an electrician.

I think the op means he has tried it on the non rcd side and then on rcd side if its tripping rcd them sounds as though he,s dropped a gooly somewhere along the line.and ended up with a crossed neutral.

not if the outside light is fixed to the building.

I think the op means he has tried it on the non rcd side and then on rcd side if its tripping rcd them sounds as though he,s dropped a gooly somewhere along the line.and ended up with a crossed neutral.

Good point Phil after reading the op. I wonder where he's getting his live feed from?

i get my live feed ( for the bearded dragon) from pets at home.

shouldn't you turn the neon driver around and hold the pointy end to get it to light up on the neutral?

Never tried that method hang on i'll give it a go ......back in a bit

:rofl: That would have worked on me at about 4 o'clock this afternoon. I put my fingers into a shaved socket that I thought was off and I got the full 240V + 110V to earth! I've nicknamed it the cocktail shock. I'm the first part and the the second part was the live tails I shoved my fingers in. Left hand is still tingling even now lol.

Reply to outside light tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock