Discuss Outside light wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can someone offer some advice please?
I would like to remove an old outside light fitting on a switch, currently wired as attached photo:

home - outside light
blue - blue
yellow/green - yellow/green
blue with brown sleeve - brown

three brown wires from home into their own terminal with no connections
black wire from light fitting into dark brown wire of light fitting.

The new light fitting only has four terminals, neutral (N), earth (E), live (L) live switch (LS).

So my query is that there is no loop (of black wire into brown) like the original light fitting so should I leave the three browns wires in their own terminal and just connect the blue with brown sleeve into the LS or would this cause a problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_145940192.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 23
is your new light a PIR motion sensing unit?

Depends on the function of the terminals in the new fitting. Sometimes with PIR lights there is a L and SL, where L is the input to the PIR sensor, and SL is the switched output of the PIR sensor to the actual lamp.

The three browns in the connector are permanent live and not have anything else connected to them in the new fitting (i.e. not the PIR nor the lamp).

Perhaps post a photo of the new fitting connections.

Hi thanks for the quick replies, on the new PIR light there is the following:
Earth - with yellow wire in
Neutral - with blue wire in
L pointing down - with light brown wire in
the blue and light wire both have black sleeve.
LS pointing up - with red wire in
Does this help?
[automerge]1587028324[/automerge]
My thoughts are to keep the three brown wires in the separate terminal - as current.
Blue into blue
Yellow into Yellow
Then to only put the blue wire with brown sleeve from the house into L pointing down

Reply to Outside light wiring help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net