Discuss outside lighting . cable types?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

brs73

-
Reaction score
i've just installed some pir controlled lighting around the the perimeter of of a cottage.
i used 2.5 armoured.
i was wondering if there was an alternative black FP type cable that could be used that'll cut down on time spent making off ends.
it was out of reach so i never thought swa was absoulutly necessary. plastic conduit 's an option i know but quite laborious. don't think anyones using much pyro for this sort of thing anymore
i asked a wholesaler if they done 3 core 2.5 pyro a while back and they looked at me like i was weird.
just wondered what type of cables were out there that can withstand all weathers,look the part ,doesn't cost as much as FP and be be long lasting
cheers

Last edited:
sorry not an answer just a question. I was just on the screwfix site looking at the swa and they only seem to have 3 or 4 core. I would have thought that 2 core would be available so that you could use the armour as the cpc - what did you use/do?

I suppose if it was out of reach, you could have used white FP200.

Easier to gland etc, but more expensive tho.

fp''s bloody expensive .i was thinking of something cheaper really.
and i used 3 core. suppose you can still use the sheath but the cost difference'll be minimal.
i prefer a seperate cpc
cheers

How can use fp200? flex etc? both are not suitable for outside stuff, at least not for distance wiring. Why not just wire a loop 3-core pvc in loft area and branch out direct into fitting, if 3-core you have 2 switch wire options? Most can be wired direct -on or pir, or other side or time-clock, or light sensor. Or if a a large house with many permitations use 2 x 3-core loop pvc, very cheap very easy very normal?

btw, I assume by making ends off you have a trench around the house with swa burried..It would not happen in my house, is all cable visible? If so then you have customer whom is easy to please.

Why use 2.5swa? is lighting 6 x 500watt sunfloods?

I aint surprised if the wholeseller gave you a blank look regards micc/pyro. The cost would be much more, making off ends would be more tricky.

The grand design team on tv are also far from savvy, where a guy wired his house in pyro thinking it was 'safer'. Mistakingly thinking it was safer from fire hazards, Pyro is designed to still work under fire conditions not prevent fire. Pyro will get very very hot under fault condition, more so than pvc. Nothing wrong with using pyro, it will last forever, but it is not a fire provention system, rather it is used because it will still operate under fire condiditions, ie fire sirens, emergency lights, emergency power for lifts etc

Last edited by a moderator:
i've just installed some pir controlled lighting around the the perimeter of of a cottage.
i used 2.5 armoured.
i was wondering if there was an alternative black FP type cable that could be used that'll cut down on time spent making off ends.
it was out of reach so i never thought swa was absoulutly necessary. plastic conduit 's an option i know but quite laborious. don't think anyones using much pyro for this sort of thing anymore
i asked a wholesaler if they done 3 core 2.5 pyro a while back and they looked at me like i was weird.
just wondered what type of cables were out there that can withstand all weathers,look the part ,doesn't cost as much as FP and be be long lasting
cheers
can you not use tuf wire?(also called power tuf and various other things)

Hi
Pyro (MICC) is still widely used and favours most environments and looks the best. for outside installations you have few options, SWA (does not look that good very industrial looking) steel conduit, ok (but not plastic on outside does not look good in a couple of years starts to sag and misshape). pyro (MICC) looks Ok but requires some one with experience as most sparks have not terminated pyro before especially in the domestic market. As some one has already said can you run internally, you can use a lot more cable types then short flex to fitting (your connection and change of cable types need to be accessible though).

Regards

Whats wattsup on about of course fp is ok for outside use flex a no no, but also our wholesaler does sell 3core and earth we buy regular.

can you not use tuf wire?(also called power tuf and various other things)

Seconded. Hi-Tuff as TLC calls it is superb. PVC shroud around another PVC shroud around sleeved conductors. It's a bit of a pain to work out how to terminate it but once you've sussed it it's great. Much simpler than SWA, tougher than T&E (and rated for external use), and simpler than conduit. Expensive though.

Seconded. Hi-Tuff as TLC calls it is superb. PVC shroud around another PVC shroud around sleeved conductors. It's a bit of a pain to work out how to terminate it but once you've sussed it it's great. Much simpler than SWA, tougher than T&E (and rated for external use), and simpler than conduit. Expensive though.

How do you terminate it?

Do you use the applicable stuffing glands?

My understanding was that grey t/e was a no no because it lacks UV protection and so will become brittle over the years if exposed to sunlight. Rubber is the same. Black pvc is uv stabilised and so overcomes this issue. Hituf is sheathed in black pvc (so too is the satellite cable attached to the outside of our homes). If the cable is out of reach and so not subject to mechanical damage, why use hituf and not standard black pvc/pvc? It's weather resistant and UV stable.

My understanding was that grey t/e was a no no because it lacks UV protection and so will become brittle over the years if exposed to sunlight. Rubber is the same. Black pvc is uv stabilised and so overcomes this issue. Hituf is sheathed in black pvc (so too is the satellite cable attached to the outside of our homes). If the cable is out of reach and so not subject to mechanical damage, why use hituf and not standard black pvc/pvc? It's weather resistant and UV stable.

agree hituf is a bit ott,but I was wondering what exactly standard black pvc/pvc is? Does t&e come in black now?

Reply to outside lighting . cable types?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock