Discuss outside lighting cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
after some advice pls

have a outside work area ( open ended but covered from rain and sunlight ) customer requires two 36w IP65 flossy fittings and switch installing. Planning to fuse off existing outside socket with a 3amp fused connection unit. I cant seem to find any 1mm 3 core weather resistant rubber flex locally, but 0.75mm 3 core is readily available. Can anyone see a problem with using the 0.75mm as calculations show volt drop and ZS all ok. Fixed load of only 100watts max so current well below the rated 6amps. I know that minimum lighting circuit cable should be 1mm for fixed wiring but as this has a 3amp fuse protection would it still be a breach. have a niggling feeling this is still classed as fixed wiring.

many thanks.

Last edited:
I think a minimum of 1mm is the way to go and that also investing in 1mm 3C rubber for you stock is a good investment - about £19 for 50 metres

If it's covered from rain and sunlight it doesn't have to be as much as IP65. However, this being my only input as the above answers are all more than adequate.

Murdoch (this is going to start another debate i can tell lol) I am not one for using flat twin+earth outside, i always prefer flex - looks neater and genuinley a better job.

Now i hear of all these people blabbering on in wholesalers that flat twin can't be used outside....UV damages it, cold damages it ect ect ect. However, i've never officially seen this written in any documentation. I stand to be corrected, but i don't think anywhere in the OSG it says you can't use twin+earth outside?

I mean i've come across installs with flat twin outside thats been there for 40years or more and still going strong.

T&E is quite hardy but it just looks terrible!

I completley agree + would never use it outside, that's not to say i haven't when working for other people but when it comes to myself it's a non-starter.

However, people seem to have been brainwashed that it is an absolute no-no. Bad practice maybe, but when it comes to breaking any rules+regulations it's completley fine and above board.

I wouldnt have a problem with flat twin through a covered area from an electrical point of view but I only suggested it because you wouldn't have a problem finding the correct CSA. If flex is available in an appropriate size then I'd say take your pick.

i wouldnt consider anything but fp200 for a weatherproof lighting cable that was clipped direct without any further containment.

The Electricians guide to the building regulations mentions the recommendation of not using grey or white cable outside only black recommended, but as has been said grey T&E can last for ages (sometimes).
EGBR outside fixed cables.jpg
Oh yes and B&Q sell 1mm² black rubber flex, but any wholesaler should have black PVC flex. (should also have rubber but often don't)

Hi-tuff or NYY-J is my preferred option in this sort of situation if a longer run is required, rather than just a short loop of flex into a fitting. Readily available in various sizes and number of cores from 1.5mm² upwards and easy to terminate. Sheath is tough UV-resistant PVC.

Only snag is that 3x1.5mm² can be a bit fat for some lighting glands.

Reply to outside lighting cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net