Discuss outside lighting in plastic conduit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

000aces000

Hi just wanting some advice regarding some lighting I will be doing in plastic 20mm tube, I will be installing a high power led pir security light which come with a flex, I would like to know which is the best waterproof box to connect the cables via a shroud into and where to get this I would prefer the box to be in black as the tube and light are also black.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

combi boxes are good, made by wiska.

you can terminate the conduit into this with a threaded adapter and then use stuffing glands for the flex to the light.

only use black conduit and cables outside otherwise the UV will discolor and make the plastics brittle over time

Dont use plastic.... it will be fine until summer it will expand in warm weather destroying any seals you made and asthetically look awful after that, then water ingress with slowly get into the fixtures and/or fittings ....steel galv if necessary or a UV tolerant cable, i darent say micc anymore as it seems no-one can do it now-adays but thats the best option i did the local pub 20yrs ago and its still as good as the day it was fitted.

Dont use plastic.... it will be fine until summer it will expand in warm weather destroying any seals you made and asthetically look awful after that, then water ingress with slowly get into the fixtures and/or fittings ....steel galv if necessary or a UV tolerant cable, i darent say micc anymore as it seems no-one can do it now-adays but thats the best option i did the local pub 20yrs ago and its still as good as the day it was fitted.

expansion joints ?

expansion joints ?

If you can get a IP 65 rated expansion couple then may be an option but the nature of the conduit been able to slide in and out usually 5mm between winter and summer makes this a challenge as a seal needs to be very tight and if its too tight it will grip the conduit and wont allow it to expand where it should.

Ive just bee out to some not the other week all the sealant had failed due to natural conduit movement as temp's change, water ingress was everywhere and it was rough to say the least so even an IP rated expansion joit wouldn't ensure water dosen't get into the rest of the pushfit parts no matter how well they are sealed on the day of install.

I have personally always regarded plastic conduit outside as bad practice in most cases, i see it akin to putting a drainpipe system direct into your electrical joints it may initially be sealed but mother nature is a persistant bi..ch and other more durable alternatives exist.

Last edited:

Trouble there is, that there isn't many new electricians that know how to bend metal pipe now either!! lol!! There is black plastic conduit that is UV resistant, which we have used a lot of, and in hot climates. PVC conduits and accessories should be constructed with with the appropriate adhesive. which chemically welds plastic parts together, rather than sticks them together. The stuff we use is a thick wall PVC conduit for external work, and any connections to boxes are via flanged (which i'm sure also come with a gasket) type couplings. Can't say that i've seen much aesthetic effect to such runs of conduit either to be honest.

As for the MICC installation, you talked about, it'll probably still good the day they pull the pub down!! lol!!

only use black conduit and cables outside otherwise the UV will discolor and make the plastics brittle over time

Sorry to steal the thread, but what would suggest for conduit being installed withing a glass conservatory (which will be exposed to sunlight all year around)?

Black conduit with expansion joints but probably not the colour you want to fit in a white pvc building.... as its not subject to needed IP rating it will be fine as its indoors... plus depends on the glass in the conservatory usually the UV rays are filtered out to a certain degree so you may get away with white even... but it depends on the impurities in the glass... personally i wouldn't over worry yourself on this one as long as you have allowed for expansion if temp inside the conservatory fluctuate widely over the year ie... they dont heat it in winter.

What a out the white plastic conservatory that's subject to sunlight, heat and UV ? ?
Lol

What part of my last post hasn't answered this? and sunlight in itself is heat(infra-red) and UV(Ultra Violet) it dosn't need segregating into 3 parts as you have written ;)

Whats the best way to connect an outside light surface mounted on a wall to the wiring terminating metal conduit? I have some goose necked lamps but I can only imagine a little bit of flex dangling to the back of the light unit?
Is there a mounting box available for something like this?

Thanks

Can you mount the lights onto a conduit end box? If not then I'd terminate each light point into a U box, and use a 20mm gland on both the U box and the light fitting. So long as the flex is the same colour as the lights and conduit, it can look pretty neat

Reply to outside lighting in plastic conduit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock