Discuss Outside lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Outside lighting, any suggestions on how to do this, only space I can get any cables from is the loft, now custard wants up/down lights, but low enough to be able to light up the wall, looking at half way? I can get one cable down to each light looking at 3 lights and do a joint box in the loft as I’m sure the fittings he’s on about only have access for one cable but I’m sure there rear entry fittings, so best bet to run cable down the wall and knock some mortar out? It will only be some 1.0/1.5mm Hi tuff flex
Thanks
[automerge]1577016510[/automerge]
Sorry only picture I have
[automerge]1577016576[/automerge]
Just about see the soffit top left

Attachments

• Outside lighting DDA2C3DD-764F-4434-B6F1-5D6D5A188E32 - EletriciansForums.net
    DDA2C3DD-764F-4434-B6F1-5D6D5A188E32.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Outside lighting BDD52D7C-AC63-4D40-8446-095D62EB63E9 - EletriciansForums.net
    BDD52D7C-AC63-4D40-8446-095D62EB63E9.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 37
I wouldn't run the cable in the mortar joints, the remade joints will look pants and its not a professional job IMO. Can you not run internally?

I wouldn't run the cable in the mortar joints, the remade joints will look pants and its not a professional job IMO. Can you not run internally?
I wasn’t thinking all the way, just the mortar where I can feed cable behind the fitting so you’ll see cable all way to the light, and along the wall is 2x bedrooms and a tiled bathroom so can’t run internally, only other thing is run metal conduit and put on galv boxes will look a bit neater
[automerge]1577019817[/automerge]
Although I think the ones he’s bought are a square back plate I’ll see if he can re send pic of fitting

I wasn’t thinking all the way, just the mortar where I can feed cable behind the fitting so you’ll see cable all way to the light,
That's how I'd do it. I'd bring it down just to one side of the light, drip loop then into the rear via a raked out horizontal joint. I think if you come straight down the wall into the back I'd expect rain water to run down the cable into the back of the fitting, I wouldn't trust th eblind grommit to keep it out.

That's how I'd do it. I'd bring it down just to one side of the light, drip loop then into the rear via a raked out horizontal joint. I think if you come straight down the wall into the back I'd expect rain water to run down the cable into the back of the fitting, I wouldn't trust th eblind grommit to keep it out.
Thanks for that, I’ve been looking at Besa boxes but I can’t find any for up/down lights even if he changes them to suit the conduit

I’ve used black plastic conduit, mounting the luminaries on conduit boxes. Not the prettiest look, but nor does cable clipped up/down a wall.

How do you go about fixing them to light mate? Just line it up on light fitting and screw in?
Think that would work on up/down lights??
Thanks
Pretty much. The back plate of my up/down light was bigger than the conduit box. Took some fiddling around with fixing screws, but their still there now.

Pretty much. The back plate of my up/down light was bigger than the conduit box. Took some fiddling around with fixing screws, but their still there now.
Thanks mate, I’ve tried to look for some that fit straight onto the boxes but no luck
[automerge]1577021444[/automerge]
There is one other option, though I may not be popular for suggesting it. Could run the cables in the wall cavity...
I’ll have to get up the loft and have a look didn’t think of that

Hi - just my view, but if possible go straight through into the space between ceiling and floor and go fishing. This works well if there’s other building works on site as we need a fishing hole or two inside as well. And then perhaps a wireless switch and receiver for flexibility :) .

Hi - just my view, but if possible go straight through into the space between ceiling and floor and go fishing. This works well if there’s other building works on site as we need a fishing hole or two inside as well. And then perhaps a wireless switch and receiver for flexibility :) .
Thanks and no other building works unfortunately, I should be able to fish straight from loft? Sorry first time running anything in cavity wall if I use that option

Reply to Outside lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock