Discuss Outside lights wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eckersecker

Asked to look at some outside lights. A brick built house with a old fashioned lantern style light outside front door. Cable comes through wall into base of lamp from switch inside. Owner wants another light of same type about 5m further along wall.
Has to switch on with current light. No disturbance to walls floors etc inside. Doesn't mind cable on outside. Whats the best way to do it? I thought 1.5 SWA terminated in conduit boxes with lids with short flex to go under lip of light bases. This is the weak part of my idea as these lamps have two nuts that hold the light part of the lamp onto the base plate that is screwed to the wall. They have no depth to put in a compression gland.

Thought of that but theres a ledge just above damp course and it was suggested my cable should go down , along and back up. Conduit would be more difficult to do and still doesn't answer the question how to get out of the conduit into the light in a satisfactory way. In fact my solution would terminate exactly the same as yours.

What i do is take conduit to the fitting and do a small chase behind the fitting to allow my cable to pass through the back of the fitting

Did these a while back...

Attachments

• 20120710_141008.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 104
SWA and conduit would look pants in my opinion. Just clip some hi tuff along to the light and chip out a bit of the render to get the cable behind the fitting so it can be terminated. Say that's rough all you like but nout wrong with that in my opinion

Don't use glue with plastic pipe, eventually the weather will have it bending all over the place and looking terrible even though it may look good when you originally finish it, it will look like a donkey's hind leg after a couple of summers and winters.

Reply to Outside lights wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net