Discuss Outside lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I’m a qualified electrician but off the tools now. I was giving a neighbour a little advice for lights in his drive. Advised to run armoured to locations for lights and PIR. He had another spark round for a look and price to connect cables up and install the lights. I advised to make cables off into wiska boxes and flex out to lights. The other spark advised flex to the lights is a bit naughty. He said usually armour straight to lights. Not sure if that’s possible unless they are massive industrial sized lights! What are thoughts on flex from weatherproof glands in wiska boxes to the lights please?

Depends a lot on what sort of lights. Wall mounted? Recessed into drive? Spike mounted? Something else?

Do they come with rubber flex tails (a lot do, with no way you'd terminate SWA into them)? Something larger & more industrial might have gland entry points? Need a lot more information, assuming the lights are already selected.

I often run SWA to Wiska 308 boxes, using earthing bars designed for the Wiska box, and a short length of flex to the light. But have to be sure the flex won't be vulnerable to damage.

Thanks for the reply. There is only a tiny entry point for a cable through a tight gland (push through). I see no other way. Some electricians like to pick holes in other peoples ideas when there is nothing wrong about it.
Thanks again.

Reply to Outside lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, Heavy industrial spark here, never do house bashing hence the question. I currently have a light switch at the front door not doing anything...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon All Currently doing an EICR on common parts of a big site with multiple blocks. All blocks have outside garden spike lighting in...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, medium to beginners experience in electrics. I placed a 250w security PIR light outside. I connected it to the inside first-floor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician and have very basic knowledge of electrical installation. We've been putting in a new kitchen into an...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the forum and am seeking some advice please. I’ve picked up a job that another electrician has abandoned, the job is to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock