Discuss Outside socket, 30m/A RCD exception?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, bit of a strange one (long story). But do you know of any exceptions or any loopholes where you don't have to provide an outside socket with 30m/A RCD protection. (these sockets im talking about already have 100m/A protection anyway)

Is there an issue with what they are supplying causing nuisance tripping due to design leakage, what kind off sockets are they (3ph, 1ph etc 400v,230v) or are we just talking standard 13amp s/o .... what are likely to be plugged into these sockets?

If it's under the supervison of a skilled person (i.e. you), then it could be as you pertain to. But the previous sentence implies ONLY you have access / control over the said socket.

For example you may wish to install a socket at home that has no RCD protection, but then has a "plug in" RCD that you use to check the calibration of your meter with every month. Obviously this would be marked as for "TESTING ONLY" in indelible ink, and a comment on the certificate as such.

I think there may be other reasons but I'm no expert.

Possibly using a locked cover may get you away with it, but as darkwood asked what is the SP?

Hi guys, bit of a strange one (long story). But do you know of any exceptions or any loopholes where you don't have to provide an outside socket with 30m/A RCD protection. (these sockets im talking about already have 100m/A protection anyway)

Are you saying can you add an outside socket with only 100mA RCD protection?

It's a 4amp test socket which is part of the DB. It has a flap on it and it's single phase 2 pin, supplied from a 4amp mcb. It has a 100m/a main RCD feeding it but if these test sockets need 30m/a protection it means I'm going to have to either install a 30m/a rcbo or change the main RCD to 30m/a. And I don't fancy doing that on price!

What do you mean by 2pin... is their an earth as in the casing of the 2pin plug been metallic and earthing onto the socket, what are they testing? what is been plugged in?

All general purpose socket outlets require 30mA RCD protection, and it does not matter whether they are inside our out. There are other considerations which will decide if you RCD the cables, or just fit RCD outlets.

Cheers..........Howard

All general purpose socket outlets require 30mA RCD protection, and it does not matter whether they are inside our out. There are other considerations which will decide if you RCD the cables, or just fit RCD outlets.

Cheers..........Howard

OP has already informed us they are 2 pin sockets for testing purposes so not general use hence im looking for further info, but deffo nothing wrong in what you say.

Reply to Outside socket, 30m/A RCD exception?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock