Discuss Outside socket off lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I have a switch by my front door inside the house that switches on and off an outside light.
the front of the house has a lower roof that goes up and after windows joins the top roof.
therefore, I have an eves? That is about a foot above the top of the front door.
looking to place some Xmas lights outside.
I was thinking of using the supply to the outside light and add to it to place a socket or junction box and with a dusk dawn sensor power some lights. This would be under the eves. Therefore possibly fit a socket as the lights I expect will be 220 transformed to 5v etc

whats the safest options
thanks
nick

Firstly it is not clear if you were thinking of connecting to the outside light, or to the switch? If the switch, bear in mind this may only have a L and switched L, and no N present, and so may not be suitable.

It is not normally a good idea to put a socket on a lighting circuit, since sooner or later someone will plug in something that takes a higher current that trips the circuit. And I'm guessing you'd leave the socket in place for future years. Also, many of the outdoor sockets won't have room for a large transformer and allow the lid to close. If exposed at all to the elements, then a standard socket is not suitable. Plus RCD protection is mandatory for the socket.

If there is any way to use an existing socket e.g. in a garage, and just run the 5v or 12v cable outside, that would (a) be simpler, and (b) safer.

Reply to Outside socket off lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net