Discuss oven not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

Hi , looked at an oven this afternoon that had tripped its mcb 40A, on 10mm T&E, and on resetting it the oven did not work. However, fan and grill both still worked. Tested continuity across L and N at isolator - greater than 199 ohms with oven switched off and 127 ohms with dials turned on :confused:. I would have expected something much lower than this to get a large heating current to flow, even if it was only 3kW and i think it is more ,you would be looking at about 17 ohms?. Is it likely that the heating element has gone ?
Or could it be something else ?
It is a whirlpool oven - if it is the element are they cheap and easy to replace or is it better not to bother?

Also tested insulation resistance between L/N and earth and that was fine.
I have no experience of ovens so any comments welcome.

Possibly the circular element at the fan has blown, can be straight forward to replace once you open up the back of the oven. That is providing it is a seperate oven and job arrangement.

Most certainly the Circa Therm Main Oven Element, gain access by removing four screws inside oven and you will see the element at the rear of the oven cavity held in by three further screws. ISOLATE and remove element and check it for continuity. You will require the Service Number from the appliance stating with 85----- in order to get a replacement expect to pay around £ 28.00

thanks for the replies - sorted it out - unfortunateltly it was of the type where you had to take the oven out and the back off to access the screws for the element. It actually looked ok, but had shorted. The continuity reading i got when testing it must have been a parallel path . Managed to get a replacement for £20 and didn't do my back in while lifting the oven - result :D

Reply to oven not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock