Discuss Oven on FCU? But what size fuse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

alanl

I've just been to change an oven tonight, should have been a straight swap.
Large cooker isolator, fine, MCB at 32A, no RCD protection. Not brilliant, but OK for a like for like.
Isolate, remove oven, then find the old oven is plugged into a double socket, with the hob ignition in the other plug.
Hmm, this is not right, so, I check the new oven, and see if it is rated low enough for a 13A plug fitting. No way, maximum demand 3.5kW, and Installation instructions say must be on a DP fused connector.
So, I'm going to have to fit a FSU, well 2 actually, as the hob needs sorting too. Then, because I'm modifying the circuit, I'll have to give it RCBO protection (cable <50mm).
*This is getting complicated for what should have been a 20 minute job.
Firstly, with a 3.5kW rating, the fuse needs to be 15A to cope with max demand. I cant say I've ever seen a 15A fuse. Use a 13A?

Is my thinking correct in this - it must be done right as it is a rented property.
Ta
Alan.

I'm just an apprentice with no books on me. But can't u apply diversity?

You can't just put a 15a fuse on something that needs 13a without checking if you can add diversity otherwise I'm guessing a 20a DP switch??

There is no diversity, as it is only one item fed from one FSU.*
Full power is 15A according to the manual, in reality, it would likely be 13A anyway, just wondering if people put a 13A on these usually?

Shouldn't it be done right because you're a qualified Spark working to the Regs? :)

Of course, that's why I left it disconnected. It would have been a 5 minute job to fit a plug, but I have a conscience, and want to do it correctly. My initial idea was to fit a FSU, but I'll then be modifying the cirtcuit, so will need to fit an RCD. So a £40 bill has gone up to £75.

Today I approached Neff because a customer had asked me to wire up a cooker (2.8Kw) he had acquired, without a manual.

The Neff reply is as follows:

"Dear Mr x,
Thank you for your email.
The I E E Wiring Regulations, 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition, (regulation 433.1.5) states that cookers, ovens and hobs with a rated power exceeding 2 kW should be connected to their own dedicated radial circuit."

So I got out my regs and can't see this in 433.1.5

Any comments?

what size cable is on the cooker, if any?

It's on 6mm, so no problem with current carrying capacity. As it happens, I have a 20A RCBO spare, so that can be fitted, but I thought I'd see others views on how this should be done - the Landlord is not going to be happy, as the cost of fitting has doubled, and i'd just like confirmation that I'm doing it correctly.
Ta
Alan.

Today I approached Neff because a customer had asked me to wire up a cooker (2.8Kw) he had acquired, without a manual.

The Neff reply is as follows:

"Dear Mr x,
Thank you for your email.
The I E E Wiring Regulations, 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition, (regulation 433.1.5) states that cookers, ovens and hobs with a rated power exceeding 2 kW should be connected to their own dedicated radial circuit."

So I got out my regs and can't see this in 433.1.5

Any comments?

I've heard of this. Although "over 3KW" Sounds familiar. Not sure why

Reg 433.1.5 :App 15 Page 362 (iii) connecting cookers, ovens and hobs with a rated power exeeding 2KW on there own dedicated radial circuit...

I personally would ask the client to change the oven to a less powerful model, only encountered this situation once mind and to run in a new circuit would have been a nightmare.
The only place I can find in the BGB is app.15 reg 434.1.103 : connect cookers, ovens & hobs with a rated power exceeding 2kW on their own dedicated radial circuit.
Cant see you having a problem just putting it on a plugtop TBH
Regards gram
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but if you have a cooker isolator on a dedicated circuit, use that with a cooker outlet plate.

I had exactly the same thing. Asked to wire up a cooker like for like. Original cooker on a 13a fcu spurred off kitchen ring. Looked at new cooker like you said its 3.5KW. Could not find the rating for the old cooker but obviously new is 15 + amps (possibly)

Problem is the place is a flat immaculately decorated no way could I run a new feed (cost single mum etc...) I am aware (or believe) that anything over 2KW should have its own dedicated circuit so I explained the situation to customer and connected the new cooker into the 13A RCD FCU (no RCD protection previously) as I thought I could apply diversity (first 10 amps then a third = 12A ish) as it would not all be running at the same time. I put this on the MWC and got customer to counter sign. this was over two weeks ago and no problems.

I know its not the best practice but the worst case scenario would be the fuse go? I have been trading for just over a year now and I find things like this crop up all the time, I can't just walk away principles get too expensive otherwise.

Reply to Oven on FCU? But what size fuse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock