Discuss oven supplied from ring main in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
I don`t do any EICR reports in my normal working days activities but i have recently had a look at a friends property as he is selling it and i have found that his integrated oven is supplied from his kitchen ring main from a FCU.
It has been like this for many years and there is no signs of overheating on the cable and he has never had any tripping issues. The oven is 3200KW and the manufacturers instructions called for a 32 amp dedicated supply if my memory serves me correctly.
Would a code 3 be sufficient for this issue?

Looks like its managing to run on a 13A fuse so maybe they are not using all the elements at the same time who knows. Worst thing would happen is the fuse would blow eventually from being stressed. Think you are probably correct with an improvement recomendation, doesn't sound like there is imminent danger. I would check the fuse to make sure it is a proper one, if you know what i mean.

Hard to beleve what you read on here sometimes

Last edited by a moderator:
The fuse won't blow unless there's a fault. 13.91A isn't going to blow a 13A fuse.
On the face of it Ib>In though, until you think about cooker diversity....

Doesn't comply with manufacturer's instructions, that's all.... is the FCU accessible?

Simon.

I had a customer who was running a 6kw halogen hob from the RFC as well as their oven!

That had been like that since Bobby Kitchen Fitter did it, a mate she said, and it had never blown the fuse, was no signs of overheating either!

As usual she wasn't interested is having it put right

I had a customer who was running a 6kw halogen hob from the RFC as well as their oven!

That had been like that since Bobby Kitchen Fitter did it, a mate she said, and it had never blown the fuse, was no signs of overheating either!

As usual she wasn't interested is having it put right

......... and why would she? It's working OK innit !!!! :death:

A few weeks ago I found a 8.5kw shower running off 2.5mm flex from a spur on the ring, as you can imagine....cable melted before the fuse.

"Well there's ya problem"

When i first moved into my house, i noticed a straggly little 1.5 twin cable running out of the wylex rewireable fuse db and into my bathroom(downstairs), turned out after a little more investigation it was feeding the 8.5kw shower on the wall!, needless to say it was promptly disconnected

When i first moved into my house, i noticed a straggly little 1.5 twin cable running out of the wylex rewireable fuse db and into my bathroom(downstairs), turned out after a little more investigation it was feeding the 8.5kw shower on the wall!, needless to say it was promptly disconnected

You shouldn't have been so hasty .... it may have worked!!

You shouldn't have been so hasty .... it may have worked!!
Probably would have dropped the supply voltage nicely down to 230 - good result :)

Anyway so lets answer the ops question - is it

C1 Danger present, Risk of injury, immediate remedial action required
C2 Potentially dangerous, urgent remedial action required
C3 Improvement recommended.

Reply to oven supplied from ring main in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock