Discuss Oven trouble need larger than 13a in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
quite frustrating as a client purchased a 16a oven.

32a ring supplies 13a fused spurs for the old ovens.

I can’t downgrade the MCB to a 20a because the microwave will trip with the oven on.

How can I fuse the 20a ovens locally by replacing the 13a fused connection units.

I am quite sure there is no other way?

I don’t want a mini DB

when you say a 16A oven, do you mean manufacturers request a 16A supply, or is the 16A derived from the max. kW of the oven?

so can you allow for diversity. i.e you can't have oven and grill on at same time? also, the stat. will be switching I/O so the max load will only be for short periods. does the oven come with a fitted plug? if so try it and clamp the circuit, see what it pulls.

New 20 Amp Radial required I reckon Chris. Davesparks is right, always been a recomendation only that anything over 2KW should be on it's own dedicated circuit, this will be where the arguments start, mark my words, some will say rubbish, but common sense should prevail.

We don't do things like that here in the UK! Being a cowboy may be OK where you come from but not here.
Loads greater than 2KW should be on their own circuit.

Oven is 16 A, so only using 50% of the circuit capacity, so how many points is this circuit feeding? And if 2kw load need a dedicated circuit, then what are these 13A fused spurs about, I might have spurs on my cowboy boots, but by my calculations a 13A fused spur at 230V means you are tapping 3kw branches off an existing ring?

Oven is 16 A, so only using 50% of the circuit capacity, so how many points is this circuit feeding? And if 2kw load need a dedicated circuit, then what are these 13A fused spurs about, I might have spurs on my cowboy boots, but by my calculations a 13A fused spur at 230V means you are tapping 3kw branches off an existing ring?
Where does it say anythinover 2Kw needs a separate circuit? do you have a Regulation Number I can refer too? An English Regulation not a NEC one.

A 13A fuse doesn’t necessarily mean that a 3kW load is connected.
Not all 2kW loads need a dedicated circuit, however the regulations recommend a dedicated circuit for some types of load.
The regulations also specify that cooking appliances should not be fed from a ring final circuit.

A 13A fuse doesn’t necessarily mean that a 3kW load is connected.
Not all 2kW loads need a dedicated circuit, however the regulations recommend a dedicated circuit for some types of load.
The regulations also specify that cooking appliances should not be fed from a ring final circuit.

I thought that was an informative guide Appendix 15, referencing 433.1?

QUOTE="Pete999, post: 1382513, member: 72029"]Where does it say anythinover 2Kw needs a separate circuit? do you have a Regulation Number I can refer too?

I'm quoting taylortwocities[/QUOTE]
Thanks Jason I'll pass the question on to TTC then

Reply to Oven trouble need larger than 13a in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net