Discuss Oven won’t work...unsure issue. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, My cooker (LOGIK LFTC60W16 oven with grill and 4 hobs had it maybe just over 2 years) stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I found out we have no cooker switch on the kitchen wall so checked the Circuit Breaker box. Everything was on. With no other option I left the cooker MCB switch in the off position and 2 days later I went back and 2 days later and turned it on and the cooker was working again for about 3-5 mins later the cooker lights saying it was on started flickering and it died again. I went back to the circuit breaker turn it off again and back on and it still would not work. I decided to leave the cooker MCB off for a whole week and turned it back on and again the cooker was working! Oven hobs and grill would all get hot. It was on for 10 mins and was fine. I went back a hour later and had it on for 3 mins and it was fine and then went back 2 hours later and again it wouldn’t turn on. Is there any idea of whats broken or in need of repair/replacement?

Could be anything. A bad connection could also give a fault like that. Find yourself an appliance repair person (not necessarily an electrician) and let them discover the problem.

i can fix that. no job too much for this cookie. give me a pm and i'll saddle the horse.

Hi Andrew, please in future for anything similar do not under any circumstances keep turning MCB on that keeps tripping. Obviously the circuit is not healthy somewhere and it's not like you can give it a rest and try again.....it can create bigger problems.
As suggested it could be something electronic PCB or fried wiring under hood.

How often have you had it on full whack in the two years you've had it?

Have you checked the elements are sound?

is that still done with a tuning fork or is it now an electronic gadget?

Buy the Mrs a big box of chocolates and a bottle of fizz and I’m sure she’ll start cooking for you again ;)

is that still done with a tuning fork or is it now an electronic gadget?

I wouldnt know I would just visually check see if it's not obviously fcuked!:tonguewink:
and just do a continuity test is as far as I go.

Hi Andrew, please in future for anything similar do not under any circumstances keep turning MCB on that keeps tripping. Obviously the circuit is not healthy somewhere and it's not like you can give it a rest and try again.....it can create bigger problems.
As suggested it could be something electronic PCB or fried wiring under hood.

How often have you had it on full whack in the two years you've had it?

Thats the thing though. The MCB hasnt been tripping. That stays on no matter what.

Its only been used for about 45 mins max a day and not even daily.

Elements seem fine. Like I said when I got it on today it seemed to work fine...oven, grill and hobs all heated fine.

Is their any way I can test if its that?

Only if you gave an oscilloscope, a circuit diagram and a PHD in electronics theory.

It maybe a simple connection problem on the electrics side, or a fault with the cooker. You need a functionary to eliminate the obvious.

Only if you gave an oscilloscope, a circuit diagram and a PHD in electronics theory.

It maybe a simple connection problem on the electrics side, or a fault with the cooker. You need a functionary to eliminate the obvious.

The cooker is hardwired in. Is it safe to use a multimeter to make sure enough voltage is going in?

Look we're all speculating here, without being able to look at it....we can only shot some possibilities out there.
It's obviously not a short cct fault as breaker would trip instantly......
It's sounding like you say elements are sound....
Surely as suggested PCB components when it's getting to temperature or certain current its not happy with something.

How about taking turns on trying each hob at a time to possible narrow it down to one dodgy hob rather than switching it all on together.

This is a very basic cooker..
The most likely problem is that you have a loose connection that is failing under load..
There won’t be any PCBs in the cooker, just a connector plate, selector switches, stats, elements, nothing fancy.
Are you sure there is no isolator switch?
Maybe located in a cupboard perhaps..
I’ve been to many places, found a switch for something and the customer was surprised by its existence

Reactions: 123
Look we're all speculating here, without being able to look at it....we can only shot some possibilities out there.
It's obviously not a short cct fault as breaker would trip instantly......
It's sounding like you say elements are sound....
Surely as suggested PCB components when it's getting to temperature or certain current its not happy with something.

How about taking turns on trying each hob at a time to possible narrow it down to one dodgy hob rather than switching it all on together.

I thank everyone for there input as I have no clue whats going on with it and if its a DIY job or electrician and if it is the latter then im looking for a idea of possibility's I could suggest to them.

Ive done them separately and just before it cuts out the red light in the front flickers then it cuts off. Its happened at different times first time was oven only and todays was the top right hob ...the LED for the oven is separate from the hobs LED so I doubt its just that at fault.

This is a very basic cooker..
The most likely problem is that you have a loose connection that is failing under load..
There won’t be any PCBs in the cooker, just a connector plate, selector switches, stats, elements, nothing fancy.
Are you sure there is no isolator switch?
Maybe located in a cupboard perhaps..
I’ve been to many places, found a switch for something and the customer was surprised by its existence

Not that I can find. Ive checked all cupboards and theres nothing :/ I also read it should be 30-200cm away from the oven but theres nothing anywhere. That was what I first looked for as every other house I've lived in has had one.

Reply to Oven won’t work...unsure issue. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock