Discuss Over rated Circuit Breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can any one advise the regulations concerning Over rated protection devices, I am well aware that a circuit breaker must be adequate for its application, but what are the regulations regarding a circuit breaker that is over rated for the load, I.E. a 10A load with a 32A circuit breaker, what is the rule regarding the maximum above the load rating that a circuit breaker should and can be and is there a calculation for this.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can any one advise the regulations concerning Over rated protection devices, I am well aware that a circuit breaker must be adequate for its application, but what are the regulations regarding a circuit breaker that is over rated for the load, I.E. a 10A load with a 32A circuit breaker, what is the rule regarding the maximum above the load rating that a circuit breaker should and can be and is there a calculation for this.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are two aspects for the overcurrent rating, the first is for fault protection - in this case ALL circuits must have protection which will disconnect in the given times, and must prevent damage to the cable - it doesn't have to be the nearest breaker that provides this, but it makes more sense that it is rather than one further upstream.

The breaker must be sized low enough to provide this.

The second aspect is overload, and this is only required if there is a possibility of over load, so a 32A MCB feeding a 2.5mm2 radial having more than one socket would not be suitable because one could plug 2 x 13A loads in which case the cable would be overloaded and unprotected.

If this same 32A MCB now supplies a single fixed load of say 18A, then this would be OK - because the circuit cannot be overloaded - typical examples are showers, or cookers etc, once the shower is on full at say 10kW, you can't turn it up beyond this so overload protection is not required (not that this would be a 32A MCB or 2.5mm2 cable of course).

Another example might be a motor, this can be overloaded, but if the motor has a proper starter with overload protection at the motor end, the breaker supplying the cable to the motor doesn't need to prevent overload in itself , but just like every other case it needs overcurrent for fault protection.

I'd guess this is relating to a specific issue or conversation about one, under dispute.
What's the background to the question?
Hi, Yes this is as a result of a specific conversation, which was that an installation was carried out and the load was a 16A coffee machine, a 32A breaker was fitted and the cabling is rated appropriately for the Breaker size, however the person who connected the load was not happy to continue with the installation as the breaker fitted was 32A and he did not consider this afforded adequate protection to the end user, what I want to clarify is, is there a rule which says that the breaker must be the next size up from the load rating or can the breaker be much larger as long as the circuit is appropriately rated.

How does the machine connect, is it via a 16A socket or is it hard-wired?

If it is via a 16A socket then that requires 16A protection as the socket could be overloaded.
If it is hardwired and the cable is adequately protected by the 32A MCB then it will comply with the regulations.

Of course common sense says you fit an OCPD which best suits the load.

Any instructions or specifications given by the manufacturer should also be considered. If they stipulate a maximum permitted OCPD size, failing to adhere to this would likely not provide equivalent safety and would be a non-compliance.

I don't think that electrical code specifies which breaker size to use,
But it more likely says that the breaker must be able to protect the cable from over load.
So the size of the breaker depends on the size of the cable.

Reply to Over rated Circuit Breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net