Discuss Over sized switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Colour Republic

Hello EF,

Got lost from some of Dan's other forums but thought I’d post a question anyway.

So I took on a little redec job, a quick in and out one but one of the other things we had to do is change a few random brass face plates for white to match the existing. All fairly straight forward and doesn't require much thinking about... you'd think

So all offending brass face plates are changed until it comes to a double light switch in the hall, this particular light switch is butted up to some architrave and is an oversized Victorian scroll one. DOH!

Of course when a standard white face plate is installed you can see all the imperfections around the light switch. To make matters worse it's a shallow back box, not only that but the neutrals are connected in the back box so you can imagine the space left. Now the oversized Victorian faceplates also have a bit of depth to them so all the cables can just about fit without being squashed.

So by fitting a standard white face plate it shows the imperfections and crushes the wires due to it being just a few mm shallower.

Sooooooo... my question is, can you get oversized white face plates? I've asked my normal trade suppliers, TLC, QVS, BDC... and all look at me a bit funny.

Come on EF save me the heart ache of replacing the back box and making good on a finished job (almost) and what was supposed to be a quick in and out

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen white accessories which are anything other than standard size....I think you are on a loser there.
Regarding the space issue try an MK plate switch,there are less guts on the back and they can give you a little extra room....(sounds like you'd be better off 'aving it out and doing it proper,like...at the end of the day)

Never seen white accessories which are anything other than standard size....I think you are on a loser there.
Regarding the space issue try an MK plate switch,there are less guts on the back and they can give you a little extra room....(sounds like you'd be better off 'aving it out and doing it proper,like...at the end of the day)

hmmm although not completely surprised, not really what I wanted to hear wirepuller...

D- "must try harder"

Do you mean a spacer between switch and wall?

Am going to van now with camera in hand.....
jpg.gif

Allows dimmers to be fitted into shallow boxes.

Attachments

• 100_5745.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Do you mean a spacer between switch and wall?

hmmmm, that is one option i suppose, i'd have to paint the back of it assuming it's clear.

C+ "average, room for improvment" :lol:

EDIT: Just seen what you mean, mark upgraded to B+ :) although still doesn't get over the imperfections but would mean only slight making good as opposed to sinking a new back box:cool:

Thanks Des,

I thought CBW was going on about a finger plate until he posted a pic, both are an option but I know I won't be happy with the finish until I replace both the back box and face plate. It was supposed to be a quick job but at the end of the day I can't leave something i'm not happy with. I was just hoping on the off chance one of you boys had come across an oversized white face plate which would be a direct replacment for the current oversized Victorian scroll

Just change the bleeding box, could of had it done by now and just be waiting for the filler to go off ;) joking of course

Just change the bleeding box, could of had it done by now and just be waiting for the filler to go off ;) joking of course

I agree!

But if you don't fancy that, the finger plate is good to cover the decor but it will barely gain you a mil, can you not just manoever the cables so the switch goes back. I have never come across a normal white switch that I couldn't fit back to a box (even with the neutrals)

I have never come across a normal white switch that I couldn't fit back to a box (even with the neutrals)

It will go just about but crushes the wires. It's a 1 gang 16mm shallow back box though with a 2 gang light switch (standard not low profile), add the neutrals and I’d struggle to get a rizla in there.

Alright, I’ll change the back box and make good. This would never be a problem in most cases it's just sods law you're walking away from a small job and you realise you're gonna have to make two more trips on what is essentially an added freebie for the customer. Foot in mouth comes to mind

Sorry Dan, I refuse to take advice off someone who thinks decorating their forums in blue and orange is a good look.

Your respectfully

Rob
lmfao Rob ya git.

Feel free to use the drop-down box at the bottom of the forum to change it to something more pleasing. And if you have a preference on colours, perhaps a footy team, then write down the colours on a post card and post it to your address and have a good read when it arrives. :)

At least the decorator can be comforted by the knowledge that, they are much better paid than us ( and for fixing sockets and switches out of level as well) :)

At least the decorator can be comforted by the knowledge that, they are much better paid than us ( and for fixing sockets and switches out of level as well) :)

Don't forget lining up the face plates screws too, you sloppy gits.

I've just been reading that thread on prices in this climate, suprised that some would post their day rates but there you go.

I wasn't aware some of you boys were finding it tough at the moment. With the sort of interior refurbishment work we take on it's easier to sell your services over your rivals as most of it is a finishing trade and your quality of work is on display, so price is not the overiding factor with the majority of our clients. Where as I suppose with you boys cost is a major factor, well at least with domestic clients that don't care if it looks pretty they just want it to work. Out of sight, out of mind.:mad:

Reply to Over sized switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net