Discuss overhead cable height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AlisonC

DIY
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me what the minimum height for an overhead cable from my house to my shed. The gap a 3ft and it is wired from the main fuse box and into another fuse box in the shed. It is encased in conduit and at the lowest point is around 7ft (this then enters the shed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any immediate problem with that, why are you asking?
Just curious to be honest. I had it installed professionally and now I have a periodic electrical test in a week or so, the box is safe as are the plug sockets, I have had these tested with the test button which turn the electric off but i was just wondering if they will say about the cable height. it runs from the house wall to the shed (a gap of 3 feet) where my side gate is.

As long as the cable and anchorage is fine and it has been installed to to the regulations it should be fine. Obviously just foot traffic below it?

No Its the hard plastic sort.

Is the route between the house and shed used by the window cleaners?
If so then the plastic conduit may get hit by ladders..

Sounds fair enough then. What's the reason for the periodical check? Is it a rented property?

Good to see the landlord is keeping on top of things. I take it he was OK with you getting the wiring addition done?

Good to see the landlord is keeping on top of things. I take it he was OK with you getting the wiring addition done?
Well I will find out. Lots of other tenants in the area have cables hanging down where satellite dishes are, which to be honest are more unsightly than the cable along my outer wall. Its all enclosed inconduit.

For something like this I would always recommend clearing it with the landlord first.

What certificates did you get for the work?

Just re-read your post where you say you had the sockets tested by pressing the button. Presumably the electrician did more testing than this?

Last edited:
For something like this I would always recommend clearing it with the landlord first.

What certificates did you get for the work?

Just re-read your post where you say you had the sockets tested by pressing the button. Presumably the electrician did more testing than this?
I presume he did, as i was at work when the work as done. It was my sons girlfriends dad who did the work who does electric work offshore. I have asked for certs for the job but no longer in touch. I tested the T button the other day to see if the electric went off and it did. We shall see when they test in week or so to find out the outcome. I'm sure if it meets their safety standard then should be ok.

I presume he did, as i was at work when the work as done. It was my sons girlfriends dad who did the work who does electric work offshore. I have asked for certs for the job but no longer in touch. I tested the T button the other day to see if the electric went off and it did. We shall see when they test in week or so to find out the outcome. I'm sure if it meets their safety standard then should be ok.

If I was the landlord I wouldn't be impressed that someone has had non certified work carried out by some random person who has now disappeared. Especially when I wasn't asked.

Reply to overhead cable height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net