Discuss overhead lines between buildings and structures in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amberleaf

Overhead Lines : ( some good Reading )
Between Buildings & Structures . Requirement’s of the ( ESQCR ) 2002

( Electricity Safety , Quality & Continuity Regulations 2002 . as Amended ) Appendix 2 – ( Informative ) p/240 / 241

Phil where do you want me to drop this One ?? - 4 Pages A4

Re: PIR reporting and competent persons.

Overhead Lines : ( some good Reading )

( Electricity Safety , Quality & Continuity Regulations 2002 . as Amended ) Appendix 2 – ( Informative ) p/240 / 241

Phil where do you want me to drop this One ?? - 4 Pages A4

drop it on here mate and i will move it :)

Overhead Lines :

1. Introduction :
2. Background information about the ( ESQCR )
3. The term “ Low voltage “ & “ High voltage “
4. Regulation 17 – minimum height of Overhead Lines . Wires & Cables .
4.1 . Regulation 17(2) - Minimum height of Overhead Lines generally .
4.2 . Regulation 17(3) – Exemptions from Regulation 17(2)
4.3 . Regulation 17(4) – Wires or Cables attached to an Overhead Line support & suspended over a Road .
5. Regulation 18 – Position . insulation & protection of Electric Lines .
5.1 . Regulation 18(1) Parts of an Overhead Line which are “ NOT “ ordinarily accessible .
5.2 . Regulation 18(2) Parts of an Overhead Line which are “ ORDINARILY “ accessible .
5.3 . Regulation 18(4) Configuration of the conductor’s of a Low Voltage Line .
5.4 . Regulation 18(5) Clearance from Buildings . Trees or Structures .
5.5 . Regulation 18(6) The meaning of “ ORDINARILY “ accessible .
6. Regulation 19 – Precautions against access & warnings of Dangers .
6.1 . Regulation 19(1) Anti climbing guards .
6.2 . Regulation 19(2) Safety signs .
7. Regulation 20 – Fitting of Insulators to stray wires .
8. Operational safety requirements .
8.1 . Regulation 18(3) Notification of the erection of a building or structure .
8.2 . Regulation 18(5) Maintaining safe distances to Trees . buildings & other Structures .
9. Overhead wiring provided by means other than Overhead Lines .

1. Introduction :

An overhead line is an electric line placed above ground and in the open air for the purpose of conveying electrical energy . The conductors of the line may be either bare or insulated.

Most overhead lines form part of a public (or sometimes private) distribution network to convey energy to consumer’s installations, street electrical fixtures or other networks. Overhead lines forming part of a network are subject to the relevant statutory requirements of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (ESQCR).

is that overhead lines are sometimes provided for distribution between buildings in electrical installations at complexes such as schools, hospitals and factories. As required by Regulation 417.3 of BS 7671, a bare or insulated overhead line for distribution between buildings and structures has to be installed to the standard required the ESQCR* . There are additional requirements in Regulation 708.521.1.2 for overhead lines in caravan parks.

general information about the requirements of the ESQCR for the construction of overhead lines. If more detailed information is required, this should be obtained from the ESQCR or from the associated guidance document

2. Background information about the ( ESQCR )

The term ‘danger’ in the ESQCR includes danger to health or danger to life or limb from electric shock, burn, injury or mechanical movement to persons, livestock or domestic animals, or from fire or explosion, attendant upon the generation, transmission, transformation, distribution or use of electrical energy.

( Accidents involving Overhead Lines . do we see the H.S.E. on this One ) CSCS ! The Term ‘ Danger ’ )
( Regulation’s “ Caravans “ etc . 708.521.1.1. Overhead Distribution Circuits’ ) Term “ Wooden Poles “ Overhead Cables . yeah – Not less than ( 6m ) in the Area subject to Vehicle movement . et. ) ???

[ No mater which way we look at this ! it Affects us All in Meany Ways . ]

Particular requirements for the construction of overhead lines are given in Regulations 17 to 20 of the ESQCR, and are outlined in items 4 to 7 of this topic.

Regulation 18 also contains certain requirements relating to the operational safety of overhead lines, which are outlined in item 8 of this topic.

3. The Term “ low voltage & high Voltage “

In the ESQCR, the terms ‘low voltage’ and ‘high voltage’ have the following meanings:

Low Voltage : ( pprentices’ have a Look in Regulations . p31 . it has a Knock on Affect . Yeah . Low Voltage

For alternating current (a.c.), an rms voltage exceeding 50 V measured between line conductors (or between line conductors and earth), but not exceeding 1000 V between line conductors (or 600 V if measured between line conductors and earth).

For direct current (d.c.), a voltage exceeding 120 V measured between live conductors (or live conductors and earth), but not exceeding 1500 V between live conductors or 900 V to earth.

“ High Voltage “Any voltage exceeding low voltage .

4. Regulation 17 Minimum height of Overhead lines , ( Wires & Cables )

The minimum heights specified in regulation 17 (see items 4.1 to 4.3) are minimum ground clearances for overhead lines, including the suspension insulators if fitted.

The clearances should not be infringed when the conductors are at their maximum likely temperature (the conductors expand with an increase in temperature), hanging vertically in still air or deflected at any angle of up to 45°. Allowance should be made for the combination of climatic conditions and the temperature rise due to electrical load current. Allowance should also be made for creep, the non-elastic stretch of a conductor. Creep consists of two parts: the bedding down of strands and the long term stretch of conductor material.

The minimum heights specified in regulation 17 relate to normal operations only. In some situations, such as where cranes or excavators or tipper lorries operate, or locations such as boat yards, rivers or creeks where boats with tall masts are moved or pass, increased heights - often considerable - must be allowed, to meet the requirements of regulation 18(5) for clearance from buildings, trees or structures. Item 5.4 gives information about regulation 18(5).

4.1 . Regulations 17(2) Minimum height for Overhead Lines generally .

According to regulation 17(2) and Schedule 2, the minimum heights for lines used or intended for use at 33 kV or below (which includes low voltage lines) are:

(i) 5.8 m over roads accessible to vehicular traffic, and
(ii) 5.2 m at any other point.
( Minimum height of Overhead Lines up to 33 kV )

4.2. Regulation 17(3) Exemptions from Regulation 17(2)

Regulation 17(3) indicates that the following three types of overhead line equipment need not comply with regulation 17(2), provided the equipment is not installed over a road:

(i) Overhead lines which are fully insulated (that is, insulated for the full working voltage and, where necessary, sheathed to afford mechanical protection)

(ii) Exposed conductors connecting an overhead line with equipment that is fixed to an overhead line support (such as a pole mounted transformer , provided the conductors are at least 4.3 m above the ground

(iii) Lines which are connected with earth (such as earth wires, or neutral conductors on low voltage networks)

- The minimum height given in Regulation 17(2) may be reduced for conductors connecting an Overhead Line with Equipment fixed to a Support for the Overhead Line .
( Insulator to be fitted to ● stray wire “ Not “ less than 3m above the Ground . Regulation 20 )
( Minimum height of the conductors above Ground is 4.3m : Regulations 17(3)

4.3. Regulation 17(4) Wires or Cables attached to an Overhead Line support & suspended over a Road .

In addition to the minimum height requirements for conductors over roads, regulation 17(4) requires that any other wire or cable attached to an overhead line support and suspended over a road is at least 5.8 m above the carriageway. The intention is to allow for high-sided vehicles.

Such wires and cables would include pilot wires (used in connection with overcurrent protective devices), control cables and stay wires connected to other supports).

5.2. Regulation 18(2) Parts of an Overhead Line which are “ ORDINARILY “ accessible .

Regulation 18(2) requires that any part of an overhead line which is not connected with earth (such as a line conductor) and which “ IS “ ordinarily accessible is:

( Facts )
(i) made dead; or
(ii) so insulated that it is protected, so far as reasonably practicable, against mechanical damage or interference; or
(iii) adequately protected to prevent danger.

The implication is that insulated conductors (such as low voltage aerial bundled conductors but not high voltage BLX conductors§ ) may be placed such that they are ordinarily accessible** , providing they are safe in the particular circumstances. The insulation should be such that it is suitable for the working voltage, and the conductors should be sheathed where this is necessary to afford mechanical protection.

Temporary insulation meeting the above requirements applied to overhead conductors would be an acceptable form of protection from accidental damage to, or interference with, low voltage lines in appropriate circumstances.

5.3. Regulation 18(4) Configuration of the conductors of a Low Voltage Line .

Regulation 18(4) concerns low voltage overhead lines equipped with separate line and neutral conductors. All bare conductors that are not connected with earth (that is, bare line conductors) are required to be situated throughout their length directly above a bare conductor which is connected with earth (that is, a bare earth or neutral conductor)

( Arrangements of conductors for a Low Voltage overhead Line having Bare Line conductors )
Bare Line conductors mounted directly above the Earth or Neutral conductor – Regulation 18(4)

Point :- Lowest conductor required to be EARTHED or NEUTRAL . ( Useful Junk )

5.4. Regulation 18(5) Clearance from buildings . trees or structures .

Regulation 18(5) requires that no overhead line shall, so far as reasonably practicable, come so close to any building, tree or structure as to cause danger.

In general, compliance with regulation 18(5) may be demonstrated by complying with Electricity Association Standard 43-8 Overhead Line Clearances dated 1988, which gives information and recommendations on:

- Derivation of clearances
- Application of clearances
- Clearances to ground, roads and obstacles
- Clearances where power lines cross or are in close proximity
- Railway crossings
- Waterway crossings
- British Telecom lines
- Recreational sites

5.5 . Regulation 18(6) The meaning of “ Ordinarily accessible “

In the context of the ESQCR an overhead line is ‘ordinarily accessible’ if it can be reached by “ HAND “ from any scaffolding, ladder or other construction erected on or near to any building or structure.

( Where an Overhead Line is ‘Ordinarily Accessible’ )

6. Regulation 19 . Precautions against access & warning of Dangers .

6.1 . Regulation 19(1) Anti Climbing Guards .

Regulation 19(1) concerns only high voltage overhead lines. Where the circumstances require, such lines are to be fitted with devices to prevent, so far as reasonably practicable, any unauthorized person from reaching a position at which any such line would be a source of danger.

In practice, the requirement of regulation 19(1) is met by attaching anti-climbing guards to overhead line supports. Compliance may be demonstrated by complying with the Electricity Association’s Technical Specification 43-90 Anti-Climbing Devices and Safety Signs for HV lines up to and including 400 kV.

6.2 . Regulation 19(2) Safety Signs .

Regulation 19(2) requires every support carrying a high voltage overhead line, or a low voltage overhead line incorporating bare line conductors, to be fitted with sufficient safety signs of such size, and placed in such positions as necessary to give due warning of danger, as far as is reasonably foreseeable in the circumstances.

Schedule 1 of the ESQCR requires that safety signs comprise a black triangle containing a symbol on a yellow background. The symbol must not occupy more than 50% of the area within the triangle. ( Danger of Death )

7. Regulation 20 . Fitting of Insulators to stay wires.

Regulation 20 requires that every stay wire forming part of, or is attached to, any support carrying an overhead line incorporating bare line conductors is fitted with an insulator no part of which is less than 3 m above the ground or above the normal height of any such line attached to that support . The aim of this requirement is to prevent any part of a broken stay wire which is within reach of the ground from becoming live due to contact with exposed live parts attached to the support.

The requirement of regulation 20 does not apply where the support is a lattice steel structure or other structure made entirely of metal and connected to earth.

8. Operational safety requirements .

Regulations 18(3) and 18(5) contain certain requirements relating to the operational safety of overhead lines, which have to be complied with throughout the lifetime of overhead lines. Items 8.1 and 8.2 information about the requirements.

8.1 Regulations 18(3) . Notification of the erection of a building or structure .

Regulation 18(3) applies to developers or other persons responsible for erecting a building or structure in the vicinity of overhead lines where this would cause a part of the line which is not connected with earth (such as a line conductor) to become ordinarily accessible†† . Such persons are required to give reasonable notice to the distributor or generator who owns or operates the line of the intention to erect that building or structure. This is to give opportunity to the distributor or generator to make the line safe before it could become a source of danger arising from the proximity of the proposed building or structure to the overhead line.

For an overhead line forming part of an electrical installation, and which is not owned or operated by a distributor or generator, the notice referred to in regulation 18(3) should be given to the electrically competent person responsible for the operation of the line. For example, for an overhead line forming part of an installation at a large hospital or factory, it may be appropriate for the notice to be given to a responsible person in the engineering manager’s office.

8.2 . Regulation 18(5) Maintaining safe distances to trees . buildings & other structures .

Regulation 18(5), which is referred to in item 5.4, places a continuous duty on distributors and generators to maintain a safe distance between any overhead line and any tree, building, or other structure where persons may be present.

In general, duty holders may demonstrate compliance with this requirement by complying with Electricity Association Standards 43-8 Overhead Line Clearances dated 1988. Item 5.4 of this topic gives some information about that Standard.

It is the Department of Trade and Industry’s♯♯ expectation that distributors operate tree cutting programmes with sufficient frequency to ensure that trees do not become a source of danger, for example due to children climbing trees near overhead lines.

Where the overhead line forms part of an electrical installation and is not owned or operated by a distributor or generator, the electrically competent person responsible for the operation of the line is likely to be the person responsible for ensuring that the requirements described above are met.

9. Overhead wiring provided by means other than Overhead Lines .

For overhead wiring between buildings by means other than overhead lines, such as by insulated cables on catenary wires, ) you have to look this Up ) maximum lengths of span and minimum heights.

* Regulation 412-05-01 actually refers to the Electricity Supply Regulations 1988 as amended, which have been replaced by the ESQCR.
The ESQCR may be downloaded from the internet at ( www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20022665.htm ) Free
The guidance on the ESQCR may be downloaded from the internet at ( www.berr.gov.uk/files/file29467.pdf ) Free
The meaning of the term ‘ordinarily accessible’ is given in regulation 18(6), see item 5.5.
§ A BLX conductor is a type of covered conductor.
** The meaning of the term ‘ordinarily accessible’ is given in regulation 18(6), see item 5.5.
†† The meaning of the term ‘ordinarily accessible’ is given in regulation 18(6), see item 5.5.
♯♯ Now the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform.

( Could we Say ; Protection by placing out of Reach . Sec. 417 ) !

Hi people
I'm not sure if this is the correct site to be asking this but.......
I'm looking to get a power cable to my garage however running the cable in ducting under ground isn't really a option as its a road outside, so the only other way I can think is to run overhead using a catenary wire however in doing it this way I will be passing over my next door neighbours land / air space. is there something I need to apply for or can I just have something in writing with my neighbour saying there happy for us to carry out the work and have the cable going over there garden slightly

Reply to overhead lines between buildings and structures in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net