Discuss overheard conversation re 3phase working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Would you really let a Electrical Trainee loose on a 3 phase installation.

What if someone who doesn't know what they are doing interconnects two ring circuits on different phases.

There are thousands of domestic 3phase installations out there..

I have no concern for those that are incompetent, they are carrying out work all the time at their own risk..
and unfortunately at the risk of others.
Whether it’s 3 phase or not..

If someone is stupid enough to cross phases over 2 circuits then they are capable of getting live conductors and earths mixed up too..

An insurance company should be asking for proof of electrical qualifications, experience, etc and then provide insurance accordingly..

I thought the no gas thing was just for central heating. I wouldn't want to be without a gas hob, electric hobs suck!

As I understand it, the proposal is that new builds will not be allowed to connect to the gas grid from 2025 onwards.
I believe that the Dutch have already implemented such a scheme.
I think I may have read something about provisions for gas supply using bottled gas where required for hobs. Such arrangements are common in the middle east. likely elsewhere.

Last edited:
I read that the future planning is intended to support Air/Ground source heating, Induction hubs and three phase EV charging.
I wouldn't be surprised to see kitchens on one phase, heating on another phase, other circuits on third phase - charging using all phases. I could see some sense in the DNO specifying which of those should connect to which phase for district load balancing purposes ....perhaps that's too organised!

Last edited:
charging using all phases. I could see some sense in the DNO specifying which of those should connect to which phase for district load balancing purposes ....perhaps that's too organised!

Unfortunately FUN (Flexible Urban Networks) has been ditched after a three year trial around the London embankment area. Too expensive!

The idea was sound, automatically linking overloaded sections of the LV network to under loaded sections via inverter panels or remote controlled UG link boxes. Transformer A is overloaded, transformers B and C have spare capacity. Using FUN loads can be shifted around to even things out. Bear in mind UKPN transformers will stand 125% summer or 150% winter overload for limited times.

Start chucking EV chargers in to the equation and something is going to go BANG!

....Oh,and don't forget,the big plan of having this network of charging vehicles,being digitally brought in to use,as a giant back-up,for the grid...

Can hardly wait for all those calls to employers...."I won't be in to work,today,because Amazon's servers needed help,last night,and me cars flat..." :rolleyes:

Whilst that reply is quite funny, there are all sorts of options being investigated, this being a part of one of them.

If we are having trouble getting new nuclear power stations built even with offering staggering guarantees on resale unit pricing, and gas is a diminishing resource that is imported, then demand management and storage are two of the prominent options.

One vision regarding 'the internet of things' relates to demand management (which is already crudely used in industry, some supply agreements can regulate demand). Internet enabled devices may be controlled by smart meters so that demand can be reduced at peak times.

Storage is already an issue with people with pv panels looking to store the energy they produce. As battery technology improves, having millions of batteries in cars is going to be a reality that could be exploited in demand management, probably not to the extent as outlined by PEG though!

Most people are of the opinion that current smart meters are pretty pointless. They are very unlikely to achieve their advertised function of saving the customer money, they offer some savings to the supply companies though. However, if future smart meters can be used to manage demand then their introduction would be cost effective as it may reduce the need for new generation.

gas is a diminishing resource that is imported

Most people are of the opinion that current smart meters are pretty pointless. They are very unlikely to achieve their advertised function of saving the customer money, they offer some savings to the supply companies though. However, if future smart meters can be used to manage demand then their introduction would be cost effective as it may reduce the need for new generation.

Of course, if shale gas extraction ever gets going in a substantial way in the UK, that may give us more gas independence for a time ....we'll see.

As for, so called, 'smart meters', that whole thing is a mess. Short sighted in having failed to include a master isolator and being unable to accommodate a change of supplier at the outset and lacking metering for on-site generation. Then, of course, having previously encouraged electricity consumers to install consumption monitors, which has, likely, already encouraged those who are interested to modify consumption an/or gradually replace electrical devices with more efficient alternatives ....you have to question who then benefits from the smart meters being installed, at the consumer's cost. From the outset I always considered that smart meters were going to benefit the supplier the most, firstly by removing on-site meter readings from the equation and then through peak time metering costs. Thus far, I've declined offers of smart meters ....maybe the time will come where suppliers decide to incentivise their uptake.

This "internet of things supply management" twaddle,is more expanded terminology which equates to nowt.

How are they going to manage the hierarchy of need?

Meters which limit current? ...that sounds problematic...

Switching of remotely? ...mmm,better not have a fridge,freezer,medical device or light on a dark stairway...

No,this changing of the way our future energy short-comings are dealt with,will NOT start,with some pushy,northern actress,repeatedly whining made-up rubbish,to get folk signed up,for a Shart Meter...

....and those that know what a shart is,know also,the above is not a spelling error ;)

This "internet of things supply management" twaddle,is more expanded terminology which equates to nowt.

Meters which limit current? ...that sounds problematic...

Switching of remotely? ...mmm,better not have a fridge,freezer,medical device or light on a dark stairway...

No,this changing of the way our future energy short-comings are dealt with,will NOT start,with some pushy,northern actress,repeatedly whining made-up rubbish,to get folk signed up,for a Shart Meter...

..ad t..hose nthat know what a shart is,know also,the above is not a spelling error ;)
Is it that escaped involuntary prisoner that you referred to in to in a previous post? ;)

'Cost' seems to be the answer to some extent - charge more at peak times and use that to encourage the willing to bump their consumption to a lower demand time. Of course, there's a limit to the number of applications which can be shuffled around in such a manner but high consumption devices like washing machines and dishwashers could be run over-night.

Reply to overheard conversation re 3phase working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock