Discuss Overheating dual oven/grill element trips RCD; replace regulator or the element? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Ecovegan

Hello everyone,

I recently relocated an electric cooker as I moved to new accommodation. It was working perfectly well before it was carefully moved but now the grill is overheating and tripping the RCD.

As funds are limited I'm not sure whether to replace the regulator or the dual oven/grill element. It is a fairly 'mature' cooker (Creda M250EW about 12 years old) so the element could be on the way out.

Any advice would be appreciated though hoping not to have to buy a new cooker!!

Thanks, Paula

Hello everyone,

I recently relocated an electric cooker as I moved to new accommodation. It was working perfectly well before it was carefully moved but now the grill is overheating and tripping the RCD.

As funds are limited I'm not sure whether to replace the regulator or the dual oven/grill element. It is a fairly 'mature' cooker (Creda M250EW about 12 years old) so the element could be on the way out.

Any advice would be appreciated though hoping not to have to buy a new cooker!!

Thanks, Paula

Can't really advise this online mate - best bet is to get a local spark to have a check. As you said it was working before fine, it could be the element but it also could be the RCD thats faulty, or the wiring...

As Markc123 has said this cannot be diagnosed over a forum.
I would say that it is often the element that has gone but occasionally the regulator, I would not expect that a new oven were required, though considering the cost of replacing both element and regulator it may prove more economical to buy a new oven in some cases.
Do make sure it is only the grill causing this as it would be annoying to have wiring faults / RCD faults still causing the problem after repairs.

do the fan work? had a faulty fan in mine once, it resulted in the element glowing red hot and going bang.

Thanks everyone for your replies it is much appreciated.

I was recently 'forced to relocate' due to a change of landlord (not a pleasant experience) and it's cost me a lot to get everything shifted, hence why I posted my query here.

I am disappointed that the grill has started playing up as I was trying to reuse the cooker as it still had a lot of life left in it.

It is the top oven which also doubles as a grill (there is no fan in it) which is causing the tripping. But I'll check the rest of the cooker first to make sure it's working properly before I get someone in. I'll bear it in mind about the wiring and the RCD being possible cause too.

Many thanks again for all your advice,

Paula

Last edited by a moderator:
if you need a spark to test for the fault, Liverpool ain't too far for me. pm me if you need me.

Reply to Overheating dual oven/grill element trips RCD; replace regulator or the element? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net