Discuss Overvoltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering why there would be 179V at a light box from the home run to ground. At the panel the breaker reads 118V to ground. what's the reason for such a large spike?
This circuit has also malfunctioned recently, causing the investigation.

Thanks,
Sylvia

Hi, just wondering why there would be 179V at a light box from the home run to ground. At the panel the breaker reads 118V to ground. what's the reason for such a large spike?
This circuit has also malfunctioned recently, causing the investigation.

Thanks,
Sylvia
Sylvia welcome to the forum your problem is outside in your service. The # 6 bare wire which has come loose or the power company has problems. Any time I’ve ever read 180vac on any outlet I know for sure you have a problem with continuity from the power company’s wire coming to your meter to the actual ground rod. Please call an electrician and let him read this. This could cause a fire, you have 120vac and it’s all good but 179vac can fry your tv, microwave, clocks any thing plugged into a duplex receptacle I promise you your problem is at your service Good luck

You have an open neutral in your circuit! Check all junction box neutral wire splices leading up to the light. The reason your light box is reading 180V is because your circuit has now become a 240V series circuit caused by the open neutral. Your other loads on the circuit are now receiving 60V.

You have an open neutral in your circuit! Check all junction box neutral wire splices leading up to the light. The reason your light box is reading 180V is because your circuit has now become a 240V series circuit caused by the open neutral. Your other loads on the circuit are now receiving 60V.
Zeuss88 they have an open neutral problem but I still say it’s at the service.

Reply to Overvoltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net