Discuss Packing out back boxes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have chased out some 35mm and 47mm metal back boxes into some walls made up of granite and mud. Some of the chases have gone too deep and was wondering what people use to pack out the boxes and to even them where the chased out box is uneven?

Cheers

I have chased out some 35mm and 47mm metal back boxes into some walls made up of granite and mud. Some of the chases have gone too deep and was wondering what people use to pack out the boxes and to even them where the chased out box is uneven?

Cheers
Whip up some strong compo and bed the box into that, when compo is set, drill and screw as normal.

Hi Pete, what do you mean when you say compo? Not familiar with the term. Cheers
Sand, Cement and water, Brickie's brick laying mix but a bit stronger, add a dash of Washing up Liquid to make it more pliable. Slap it in the box hole, set box at the right depth and height allow to set then drill a fixing hole and strengthen the fixing, jobs a good one. I used to scrounge a bucket of "muck" from the cement mixer.
A pointing trowel was always part of my first fix tool bag.

Sand, Cement and water, Brickie's brick laying mix but a bit stronger, add a dash of Washing up Liquid to make it more pliable. Slap it in the box hole, set box at the right depth and height allow to set then drill a fixing hole and strengthen the fixing, jobs a good one. I used to scrounge a bucket of "muck" from the cement mixer.
A pointing trowel was always part of my first fix tool bag.
Thanks Pete sounds ideal I will give that a go.

Thanks Pete sounds ideal I will give that a go.
It saves faffing about packing back boxes with bits of wood etc, need to wait for the Compo to harden, but on new builds it can save so much time. Good luck with it, sure iy will work for you.

What is it called Compo? I have never heard of that.
Muck,Compo, S---, Mortar, lots of names, we just called it Compo down in Bath Bristol area, why? I don't know, just know "go and get some Compo" was the order of the day when fitting back boxes, some Sparks used "Thistle Bonding coat" never rated that myself, couldn't beat a dollop of Compo.

Muck,Compo, S---, Mortar, lots of names, we just called it Compo down in Bath Bristol area, why? I don't know, just know "go and get some Compo" was the order of the day when fitting back boxes, some Sparks used "Thistle Bonding coat" never rated that myself, couldn't beat a dollop of Compo.
Compo up here too Pete. I suppose it is short for compound.

That's what we call it too. Same stuff . :)
All these new fangled compounds, knock the knock outs you require, fit Grommet slap it in the hole, slap the box in, level it, fill in around the box, job done.

Well I'm going to show off now and say I have never had to do that :smirk:

When I see the brick/stone crumbling behind the back box I do the following...

1. Panic.
2. Slowly stop panicking.
3. Slow everything down and become very gentle with the remaining brick.
4. Drill new holes in the back box itself if needed, where I know there is good brick behind.
5. Drill out new holes in the remaining brick, starting with a smaller drill bit and working up, preferably not with hammer action.
6. Huge sigh of relief when 2 of the screws take a firm hold!
7. Cup of tea.

Reply to Packing out back boxes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock