Discuss Paid electrician, is this right or normal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve3186

DIY
Reaction score
I’ve had an electrician rewire my house.
Is it normal for him to leave it like this…

Also, some switched were the wrong way round.

Is this normal to leave it like this for me to sort out or should they at least clean the plaster splashes off?

Attachments

• A8C3C74A-16E3-431B-9632-FF4D0BDDA648.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 239
  • 800796A6-2C78-455D-9DA9-A8A47F7E4011.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 237
  • A407CFF1-76DB-4010-AEE7-CF12A7F20EAC.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 236
Unless the electrician stated when quoting and when the quote was accepted that they would not be patching the walls and ceiling to a good standard, then the customer can only assume that it would be patched to a standard suitable for decorating.

What's been left is unacceptable, regardless of what may or may not have been said.

It should either have been plastered to a good standard or not at all.
A plasterer would not want to touch that, it would take more time to sort out thatit would to remove it all and do it correctly.

After a closer look at the pics, it looks like the electrician HAS attempted to do the plastering, and has gone way past his skill set. If he wanted to make good, he should have used 'one coat', which is a lot easier for a non skilled person to get an acceptable finish, especially if wall paper is being added.

The general idea is that you would apply a bonding coat that fills the chases and shrinks back slightly ready for a skim coat by a plasterer etc. it's not always done and can just be left with conduit or capping on show. I wouldn't expect gaps that large if I had agreed for the chases to be filled with finishing by others. Communication with trades is usually a headache in my experience. Has the ceiling been plastered before the electrical work?

Rough & Sloppy but pretty typical of a sparks just throwing in some tough coat bonding on the way out

if your contract only states 'make good' or 'rough fill' chases then this is what you got Im afraid

Devil is in the detail when it comes to the finish of the plaster work and how you agreed it would be left

It should have been discussed, however if he said that he was making good, he should have tried to put some finish on it, having said that plastering is a very skilled job.

To the OP , I'm just wondering if you received an Installation Certificate and Part P compliance Certificate for this rewiring work ? Note what appear to be 'Lap' accessories too.

There’s even a splash of plaster on the lamp holder, which is some feat in itself.

I have to echo the above comments. Electricians are not plasterers…. You want the job done right, you get the right tradesperson to do each job.
Could have been a bit neater, though

Reply to Paid electrician, is this right or normal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net