Discuss Pain the backside job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Morning all,

I’m new to this game I ----ed up on my testing, it’s now been corrected and they are waiting for the electric company to refit the main fuse. I got it wrong and left them without power over night (inconvenient) at least I didn’t get it wrong and kill them. The fuse board contained 2x5amp lighting circuits and 1x 30amp ring main. There was some interesting DIY electrics which I repaired. I have also fully refunded the customer because I’d rather be the honest guy who made a mistake than a cowboy who doesn’t care. Thanks for your comments and scoldings, although embarrassed I won’t make that mistake again.

Was this socket on an RFC? If this house was from the 70's and still got Wylex rewirable C.U. could have inserted 16A fuse wire and left two radials (following loop test etc).
What was the wiring? as our house was built and wired 71/72 where the 2.5 T&E has 1.0mm cpc (most of it been rewired/circuit alterations now but some parts original) but the 70's was a strange time for wiring there was a copper shortage when aluminium was used the green goo problem also.

Stole my thunder.. was just about to mention the green goo (greening).
I looked at a job last week it was oozing out all over the place..

47CAD6CF-9031-4B00-B45D-61215AB568D6.jpeg

I’ve not done any tests yet..
They have just bought the house, survey done, electrics were given the all clear..
Currently in the process of doing a kitchen refurb..
I made safe the existing circuits..
New circuits going on for kitchen power and cooker..
The rest of the house will be tested.
Is it a standard recommendation to rewire when greening is observed?

Last edited:
Stole my thunder.. was just about to mention the green goo (greening).
I looked at a job last week it was oozing out all over the place..

View attachment 49052

I’ve not done any tests yet..
They have just bought the house, survey done, electrics were given the all clear..
Currently in the process of doing a kitchen refurb..
I made safe the existing circuits..
New circuits going on for kitchen power and cooker..
The rest of the house will be tested.
Is it a standard recommendation to rewire when greening is observed?
Who did the survey on the electrics as I'd be checking their indemnity insurance......

Yes I’ve come across it quite a few times and always recommend it to be rewired, regardless of test values..
Just checking to see what others opinions are on the matter

If your enquiring, googling etc green goo will give you some info;

What is the green goo coming out of my twin and earth cable? - https://www.whyprysmian.co.uk/news-green-goo.html

If it were my house, regardless of any tests, I'd look to rewire. But thats just my personnel opinion.
But you are a sparks, if a plumber said it was a full re-plumb job with a system boiler and a mega flow for £5k would you just say yep, go ahead and don't skimp on the controllers...... ;o))))

Yes I’ve come across it quite a few times and always recommend it to be rewired, regardless of test values..
Just checking to see what others opinions are on the matter

Of your finding the green goo in one spot the insulation on that section or circuit, whole circuit or whole installation if wired at the same tine is probably goosed. Rare your going to get great IR reading and the average reading your getting at the time of inspection and likely to rapidly decrease.

Recommending a rewire is a fair call in my opinion, i would give them a time frame to fit it in though such as when they go on holiday within the next 6 months or whatever.

Morning all,

I’m new to this game I ****ed up on my testing, it’s now been corrected and they are waiting for the electric company to refit the main fuse. I got it wrong and left them without power over night (inconvenient) at least I didn’t get it wrong and kill them. The fuse board contained 2x5amp lighting circuits and 1x 30amp ring main. There was some interesting DIY electrics which I repaired. I have also fully refunded the customer because I’d rather be the honest guy who made a mistake than a cowboy who doesn’t care. Thanks for your comments and scoldings, although embarrassed I won’t make that mistake again.

Full marks to you for going back, and giving a refund, and admitting your mistake and coming back here and letting us know the outcome.

The measure of a good company its not just how often they make mistakes its also how they deal with it on the odd occasion that they do.

Yes, you’ll be thinking of a number of ways that you’ll tackle that job differently next time, and there will be a next time albeit different.
Testing is imperative for a fault that takes out a main fuse so repairing the ‘DIY’ stuff does nothing in that instance to remedy the main problem.
That being said, we are all sitting here in our plush armchairs commenting on a job we’ve never seen.
Everyday is a school day.
Morning all,

I’m new to this game I ****ed up on my testing, it’s now been corrected and they are waiting for the electric company to refit the main fuse. I got it wrong and left them without power over night (inconvenient) at least I didn’t get it wrong and kill them. The fuse board contained 2x5amp lighting circuits and 1x 30amp ring main. There was some interesting DIY electrics which I repaired. I have also fully refunded the customer because I’d rather be the honest guy who made a mistake than a cowboy who doesn’t care. Thanks for your comments and scoldings, although embarrassed I won’t make that mistake again.

If your enquiring, googling etc green goo will give you some info;

What is the green goo coming out of my twin and earth cable? - https://www.whyprysmian.co.uk/news-green-goo.html

If it were my house, regardless of any tests, I'd look to rewire. But thats just my personnel opinion.
Interesting article, I always thought the green goo was added as some sort of anti corrosive protection, only ever seen it on the bare copper. Surely on the jobs I have seen it on can’t all be overloaded/overheated/loose terminals at every switch & socket?

Between what 2 points and on which circuit was the 0.4M measured? What were the other IR readings on this circuit.?

Reply to Pain the backside job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net