Discuss Pain the backside job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all,

I went to a job this tonight to replace a socket that had supposedly blown the main fuse on the house. The energy supplier had been out to change fuse but refused to reconnect the house until this socket with an alleged earth fault had been replaced. The socket was wired correctly but it was cracked so I replaced it I also found other faults that I rectified. Then I tested the circuit but when it came to IR I was only getting 0.4Mohms, the house was built in the 70s and I’d say the electrics aren’t much younger if at all. I refused to sign off the electrics as safe and recommended a full rewire, leaving them with no power at all. I feel awful but in my opinion it wasn’t safe, what would you have done?
Cheers,
Phil.

As above, isolate the circuit as further testing required, if the worst came to the worst it may be only that circuit or segment that needed to be rewired as it could be mice that have nibbled at the cables.

1970s really isn’t that old (if the place was 1950s and full of rubber then yes it will need rewiring) but in this case just pull the fuse on the trouble circuit and offer to come back for further investigation

In fairness, in many instances I have recommended rewires over the years without doing a PI..
Waste of money that can go towards the cost of the rewire

Think I would be in touch with them today and try to get a better resolution for them so that they have some power. Hopefully no children in the house? I have done the same however the main fuse had blown twice and the old wylex CUs' had rotted away exposing the innards and were hanging off the wall with low <1Mohm readings. Issued a danger notice which you did???

I refused to sign off the electrics as safe and recommended a full rewire, leaving them with no power at all..

You have absolutely NO RIGHTS to do this ................ so hopefully you are back on site reconnecting them now.

as for the 0.4 mohms ................... sounds like something(s) are still connected.

Very poor approach ..........

Think I would be in touch with them today and try to get a better resolution for them so that they have some power. Hopefully no children in the house? I have done the same however the main fuse had blown twice and the old wylex CUs' had rotted away exposing the innards and were hanging off the wall with low <1Mohm readings. Issued a danger notice which you did???
So would I , what is to stop them turning it back on themselves?
Was it still off when you got there ?

You have absolutely NO RIGHTS to do this ................ so hopefully you are back on site reconnecting them now.

as for the 0.4 mohms ................... sounds like something(s) are still connected.

Very poor approach ..........

In fairness the board refused to connect it back up.

0.4 M ohms......bet its either an rcd spur somewhere or appliance bringing the reading down

As long as its not heavily loaded, Pvc cabling from the 70's is absolutely fine and will probably be so for another 30 plus years yet

Recommend a rewire by all means if thats your feeling about the install, but leaving them with no power at all for a low IR on one circuit without investigating further....??

If they got another sparks in for a second opinion and he finds the cause is an appliance you've not unplugged etc your going to look bad

In fairness the board refused to connect it back up.

The home would have had other circuits .......... sure leave the faulty circuit disconnected ............ but everything? No

The only time I have made a customer have no electricity was an inspection after a fire ........ nearly all the cables were exposed, and the copper cores were exposed................. hardly safe to live in. The fire brigade and local services found them temporary alternative accommodation

I find it a little odd that a supposed fault on a socket circuit would take out the main fuse … unless there is some other issue like a nail instead of fuse wire for the socket circuit, or the whole installation drawing so much current that the main fuse is overloaded.

@Murdoch , yes I agree with what you are saying, and getting some power back on would be a priority . But if he had turned it back on not knowing if he had cleared that fault is a bit of a sticky wicket .

Phone them up and say you had a think about the job and you would like to try something to at least to get them live, you may not earn/get paid for it but for an hour of your time and giving "added value" may reward you in the future, plus it's a £1 in the Karma Bank of Life.

In fairness, in many instances I have recommended rewires over the years without doing a PI..
Waste of money that can go towards the cost of the rewire

I do agree with you in some cases, but certainly not on the basis that one circuit or even all are from the 1970s, as that's no grounds to recommend a full house rewire.

Was this socket on an RFC? If this house was from the 70's and still got Wylex rewirable C.U. could have inserted 16A fuse wire and left two radials (following loop test etc).
What was the wiring? as our house was built and wired 71/72 where the 2.5 T&E has 1.0mm cpc (most of it been rewired/circuit alterations now but some parts original) but the 70's was a strange time for wiring there was a copper shortage when aluminium was used the green goo problem also.

Reply to Pain the backside job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock