Discuss Panel Performance Issue? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lennyg

I had 3.96Kw system installed along with a mastervolt K5500 inverter last November. We had various issues with performance and the system apparently tripping out the mains, which in the end was rectified by swapping to the non rcd side of my fuse board, but at the time, the electrician who came out to see us (the 4th different one in 4 visits) he told us that the input voltage into the inverter from the panels was 530V - the maximum input could be 600V, however the limit on its operating range was 450 per string. I am slightly lost with the next bit of information, however I understand that they split the array into 2 strings wheras previously it was a parallel configuration ??? I had an issue at the time that I could monitor 2 inputs into the invevrter and one was always generally showing an output of twice the other.

Today I look at the inverter for the first time in a couple of weeks, and with the sun at 90 degrees to the panel, i.e. full sun, blue sky, I am still getting a reading of nearly twice on one input compared to the other - the figures are in the region of Inout A 1950W Input B 1150 W. I know it seems obvious, but is there a problem and where is it likely to lie? A couple of panels not connected????

Thanks in advance for any help

Depends on how many modules are on each string your still generating 3kw from your system which is very good same as mine

I don't know those inverters, but would be surprised if they didn't tell you what the operating voltage of each string was.

It would be great to have all the details of your install. That model number for your inverter does not seem right either

If the installer has placed the pv circuit on a shared RCD then that is not a great sign!

It would be great to have all the details of your install. That model number for your inverter does not seem right either

If the installer has placed the pv circuit on a shared RCD then that is not a great sign!

I got advice from this forum and everyone more or less said the same re the RCD, which was tripping out frequently. When the installer came out to try and rectify it I told him that I had a friend in the industry down south who had suggested not having it on a shared RCD - he started quoting 17th edition but then moved it anyway.

The Inverter is a strange one, it reports on its panel and was sold as a K5500, however when I use the mastervolt software, it shows it as 6500. I have 16 panels of Solon 245W Blue.

Have you got a handover pack yet? All the system details would be in there

Having looked at the specs... the XS6500 has a max input of 5500W and 600V.... so I think maybe it's this one. Also, I think the Solon Blue 245W is Solon Blue 230/07... handy how both of these are confusingly labelled!

Anyways, based off these assumptions, I plugged them into the MasterVolt tool and... you can have either:

a) 2 parallel strings of 8 panels (7 to 12 allowed, although 9 to 12 preferred) connected to one input or
b) A string of 8 panels connected to one input and a string of 8 panels connected to the other (5 to 13 allowed in this configuration, 9 to 12 preferred again)

I can't see how the DC input voltage could be 530V, the panels are 30V each, so this would imply a string size of 17 to 18 panels... as you have only 16 I can't see how this is possible!

The inverter is a little bit too big for your install. The tool is saying it's underdimensioned but acceptable. Seeing as one of the strings is much higher than the other I wouldn't worry about that at the moment.

Is there any shading (even something small like a tv aerial) on any of the panels on either string?

How did you monitor the different inputs to the inverter when they were parallel wired into one input?

Having looked at the specs... the XS6500 has a max input of 5500W and 600V.... so I think maybe it's this one. Also, I think the Solon Blue 245W is Solon Blue 230/07... handy how both of these are confusingly labelled!

Anyways, based off these assumptions, I plugged them into the MasterVolt tool and... you can have either:Reply With Quote

a) 2 parallel strings of 8 panels (7 to 12 allowed, although 9 to 12 preferred) connected to one input or
b) A string of 8 panels connected to one input and a string of 8 panels connected to the other (5 to 13 allowed in this configuration, 9 to 12 preferred again)

I can't see how the DC input voltage could be 530V, the panels are 30V each, so this would imply a string size of 17 to 18 panels... as you have only 16 I can't see how this is possible!

The inverter is a little bit too big for your install. The tool is saying it's underdimensioned but acceptable. Seeing as one of the strings is much higher than the other I wouldn't worry about that at the moment.

Is there any shading (even something small like a tv aerial) on any of the panels on either string?

How did you monitor the different inputs to the inverter when they were parallel wired into one input?

I was going to call this post "Does my installer know what they are doing?" but didn't want to inflame anyone due to my rudimentary knowledge, however, I believe the assumptions that you make re the model & panels are correct. The electrician who did come out the 4th time did say 530V - and was explaining that by this figure the panels were performing well.

At the time of my reading, about 10am in the morning, the sun was at 40 degrees elevation, -60 degrees south, my roof pitch is 40 degrees. I can view the panels through a velux and they were 100% full sun.

My understanding of parallel & split strings is a little vague, so I just took at face value what the installers told me had happened. I took all my readings from the panel on the front of the inverter.

Both strings are on the same roof face -60

Last edited by a moderator:
Lenneg, where do you live, maybe if you are close to one of the experts on here they may pop in and sort things out for you.
Just a thought.

I was going to call this post "Does my installer know what they are doing?" but didn't want to inflame anyone due to my rudimentary knowledge, however, I believe the assumptions that you make re the model & panels are correct. The electrician who did come out the 4th time did say 530V - and was explaining that by this figure the panels were performing well.

At the time of my reading, about 10am in the morning, the sun was at 40 degrees elevation, -60 degrees south, my roof pitch is 40 degrees. I can view the panels through a velux and they were 100% full sun.

My understanding of parallel & split strings is a little vague, so I just took at face value what the installers told me had happened. I took all my readings from the panel on the front of the inverter.

ingoth strings are on the same roof face -60

if you can touch the array from your velux the word "direct contact" springs to mind im assuming the array would have been earthed.

Lenneg, where do you live, maybe if you are close to one of the experts on here they may pop in and sort things out for you.
Just a thought.

Between Prescot & St Helens Merseyside - Not looking for a freebie, I've paid the installers and they should really sort it. If I can glean information here then knowledge is power.

im guessing you have a string of 10 and a string of 6

This makes more sense... it's almost perfectly a 5:8 ratio... a.k.a. 10:16, you should be getting very near to 1:1.

Not 100% sure what this means in real life terms, but MasterVolt tool says it's ok except the "orientation correction PV power"... I expect the 6 string will just run at a lower efficiency than 2 x 8 strings. Having said that the 10 string will be more efficient, but not enough to make up for it!

Pic of tool attached

Panel Performance Issue? xs6500 - EletriciansForums.net

Btw lennyg, didn't mean to shock you or potentially upset you with my initial findings, but wanted to show you what the tool was saying!

On a real positive note, the SOLON panels you have are really good!!! And you seem to have a good generation, having 2x8 should make it slightly more efficient, but the best thing is that you can easily spot problems over the long-term. The increase in efficiency is soooo little that you shouldn't be paying to do it but I think the installer should be putting it right for free anyways.

Working all week so haven't been able to update. Yesterday again with full sun across all the panels my readings were c. 1900w on one string and 1100w on the other. The voltages at both were 325v & 140v respectively.

To confirm my spec, the master log software reports it as an xs6500 inverter and the panels are supposed to be Solon 245w of which I have 16.

Do my figures point to anything other than a difference in the amount of panels per string and if that is the only issue then at what point would I expect output greater than 3kw?

Reply to Panel Performance Issue? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock