Discuss Parallel Battery Discharging. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

detox

Does anyone know the best way to discharge 2x12v batteries at an equal pace? We are currently using 2 diodes, one for each battery to help them discharge equally but the diodes see to get extremely hot and also sometimes dont seem to work too well. Is there anybody who knows of a better method or could send me a circuit drawing that might improve on the method im currently using.

Many thanks

Alex

Sorry i didnt really explain myself properly. we have a unit that is drawing about 6 amps and sometimes the batteries seem to discharge at different rates.

Hope this is more clear.

Thank you

Alex

Sorry i didnt really explain myself properly. we have a unit that is drawing about 6 amps and sometimes the batteries seem to discharge at different rates.

Hope this is more clear.

Thank you

Alex

TBH, no, not really.
Are you comparing the performance of two different (but same spec) batteries when used to operate the same device? I would say that no two batteries are identical and that as they age the performance characteristics of two similar batteries will diverge. I would regard this as normal.

Swamp the battery internal resistance by placing a series resistor in each positive lead. The value of the series resistance needs to be large compared to the internal resistance but small compared to the load resistance. I suggest you try 0.1 Ohms, >5W, <10% tolerance resistors. For critical current sharing accuracy select closer tolerance resistors or match the resistors using a resistance measurement method an order of magnitude greater than that to be matched.

Reply to Parallel Battery Discharging. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net