Discuss Parallel Supplies in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest 004

Is there amything wrong with having a parallel supply, that will consist of 2 different size cables?

for examples say cable 1 = 25mm, cable 2 = 10mm.

To give a 35mm

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're on a Naval ship, at war in the middle of the sea and having to make do with whats available right now, then yes.

What is the context Mr Enigma?

I can't think of a regulation to quote you why its a bad idea, just feels bad.

For instance if you have two runs supplying the ... Supplied thing, and at a
later date one cable of the two is damaged / disconnected ..... Well then the other one may become overloaded without anyone noticing

that could happen even if both cables were equal size.

if he insists on parallel conductors, at least run in another 25mm. then you'll have some extra capacity for future increase in loading.

My BGB is in the car but from memory I thought the cables would have to follow the same route and be the same CSA.....but I may well be wrong.

was thinking to use same size, and of course they will follow the same route, which wiould be in a duct in the ground. So good protection.

twin / parallel feeds are pretty common on submains larger than 300mm.

struggling to think of anything else to add to be honest lol.

er , carry on.

;-)

Reply to Parallel Supplies in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Client currently has a DB in his outhouse. It feeds a pool pump and an air source heat pump. It is currently being supplied using a 4mm T&E cable...
Replies
Views
TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
A friend of mine wired a 10mm 3 core armoured cable to his shed before I got involved and wired it himself already. He wants make it an air bnb...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm installing two new sub-mains. I need to parallel some of the supply cables. It's the main incomer in 5 x 25mm, with 5 x outgoing 25mm...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock