Discuss Paralleling 8-gauge wires to a 220V Subpanel for Tankless Water Heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

edwardtx

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

Question is regarding a recently purchased property in Central Texas, which includes a 27KW tankless electric water heater. It is four years old and working fine.

What the prior owner installed is surely not code compliant, but the county does not require permitting for "renovations made within the original square footage of buildings".

The subpanel breakers next to the water heater are essentially nearby cutoff switches. The main panel is 80 feet away.

Aside from the code, is there anything electrically wrong with this setup that it would make good sense to (1) replace the wiring to subpanel or (2) remove the subpanel completely?

Paralleling 8-gauge wires to a 220V Subpanel for Tankless Water Heater 1659636158055 - EletriciansForums.net
t

I would be looking at removing the sub panel, it looks to be reducing safety rather than improving it.
have you spoken to any local electricians?

I would be looking at removing the sub panel, it looks to be reducing safety rather than improving it.
have you spoken to any local electricians?
Thanks. I spoke with a couple of experienced electricians in a large electronics manufacturing plant I work at. Neither saw anything "wrong" per se with the setup from a purely electrical circuit point of view. Just looking to see if anyone has a solid argument beyond "doesn't look right"

The thing wrong is someone could expect that turning off one of the outgoing breakers in the main panel would make the outgoing terminals dead, in this case they would remain live.

in the U.K. if you are running cables in parallel then they need to be fed from the same circuit breaker. (Amongst other requirements)

B
Hello,

Question is regarding a recently purchased property in Central Texas, which includes a 27KW tankless electric water heater. It is four years old and working fine.

What the prior owner installed is surely not code compliant, but the county does not require permitting for "renovations made within the original square footage of buildings".

The subpanel breakers next to the water heater are essentially nearby cutoff switches. The main panel is 80 feet away.

Aside from the code, is there anything electrically wrong with this setup that it would make good sense to (1) replace the wiring to subpanel or (2) remove the subpanel completely?

View attachment 100096
t
By Code you are not allowed to parallel nothing under 1/0 wire, and that’s a big tankless water heater. You wire size needs to be # 3 at a minimum. My mission is to tell you the correct answer to your question by code. You live where you live and if code enforcement doesn’t care then all I can say is good luck with your project

Reply to Paralleling 8-gauge wires to a 220V Subpanel for Tankless Water Heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock