Discuss Part L Energy efficient lighting ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BillyH

How do we stand with compliance with Part L regarding downlighters .Can we fit as many gu10/12v downlights as the customer requires or do we have to insist on a more efficient scheme.The building in question is a barn conversion.Would this be classed as a new build

without hijacking (i promise!) i have one to do next week. Existing domestic with small new build extension. Full rewire so can i use non energy efficient throughout house and 75% in newbuild extension bit?
customers hate these energy fittings - especially when you say no i cant just stick energy lamps in standard pendants because when im gone, you will take them all out and i have no proof i ever atempted to comply!

without hijacking (i promise!) i have one to do next week. Existing domestic with small new build extension. Full rewire so can i use non energy efficient throughout house and 75% in newbuild extension bit?
customers hate these energy fittings - especially when you say no i cant just stick energy lamps in standard pendants because when im gone, you will take them all out and i have no proof i ever atempted to comply!

Standard fittings with low energy lamps are now compliant.

Have a look at the supplementary information for Fixed Internal Lighting on page 123 of the Domestic Building Compliance Guide

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/domestic_building_compliance_guide_2010.pdf

Standard fittings with low energy lamps are now compliant.

Have a look at the supplementary information for Fixed Internal Lighting on page 123 of the Domestic Building Compliance Guide

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/domestic_building_compliance_guide_2010.pdf

Hi mate

you are correct as when i had my assessment with elecsa this was a question i asked as it used to be 25% or 1 in 4 had to be energy efficient that couldnt be changed for a non energy efficient
were now its 75% but the lampholders including pendent type can be used as they accept both except GLStungsten filament or halogen so basically this is another ill thought out building requirment in the first place

Last edited:
Hi mate

you are correct as when i had my assessment with elecsa this was a question i asked as it used to be 25% or 1 in 4 had to be energy efficient that couldnt be changed for a non energy efficient
were now its 75% but the lampholders including pendent type can be used as they accept both except GLStungsten filament or halogen so basically this is another ill thought out building requirment in the first place
Anyone know if its the same in Northern Ireland?

Before you choose a lighting company; always ask for a list of their past customers. When you talk with former customers ask detailed questions about their experience with the lighting company.
How did the installation process go? Where they able to complete the installation in the time quoted? Were their workers professional? Was the lighting installed in the configurations requested? Did it improve the light quality and brightness in their warehouse or retail store? Do the bulbs hold the same brightness as they age or do they begin to dim?

Know the 7 reasons to switch to energy efficient lighting here - 7 Reasons to Switch to Energy Efficient Lighting | HiBrite Lighting

Hi mate

Except that tungsten has pretty much been banned and Halogen will go that way by 2016. If you put in special 'lamp holders' a company patents the idea then has a captive market for its lamps. Google 'European halogen ban 2016'

Except that tungsten has pretty much been banned and Halogen will go that way by 2016. If you put in special 'lamp holders' a company patents the idea then has a captive market for its lamps. Google 'European halogen ban 2016'

If i remember right that's only effecting MR16 12v downlights, in which case good riddance to an unreliable, expensive, fire risk

If i remember right that's only effecting MR16 12v downlights, in which case good riddance to an unreliable, expensive, fire risk

If the draft I read comes into effect it will not be lamp type specific but efficiency specific, which means it will effect Halogen (Both MR16 & GU10), and also some of the CFL and even the poor performing LEDs.

I think the Halogen goes in stages the 1000 hour lamps first the year after the 3000s then in 2016 the 5000 hour lamps. I heard that the IRC halogens could be used to replace but be aware I also read from some blog that these get up to high temperature (400 Deg C) and will cause all sorts of bother with downlights because the paint isn't able to handle the heat.

You were warned!!!!

;)

Reply to Part L Energy efficient lighting ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock