Discuss Part M, Consumer Unit Height in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been looking at a job that needs a new CU and associated sockets & lights. The structure is a kit log cabin (fancy shed). Part M specifies that height of CU in a new structure (such as this) should be between 1350mm and 1450mm.

The shed is a temporary structure, it is in a Church' grounds, so not classed as a domestic premises, but it will be used by children (public) for Sunday school classes (so is kind of domestic).

Does this part M regulation still stand in these circumstances, because common sense tells me that locating the board higher up (about 5-6 ft) would prevent the kids sticking their fingers or whatever in it.

I dont suppose a departure from the regs on the eic would suffice, because being part M its a building regulation.

If there is no way round this, I suppose a CU with a lock is the way to go.

Any thoughts on this or similar situations. Thank you

Part M is exempt from temporary structures ive just found out now so no need to ask, except I already have so sorted. Cheers for the responses lol

Apparently not because the total height is below the max (4m I think) and is at least 2m away from boundary, so planning permission is not required. The owner says its a temporary structure also, although im not sure he's got that right tbh (as I have just now read that temporary is defined as "A building which is not intended to remain where it is erected for more than 28 days"). So looks like part M does apply here, im too quick thats my trouble !

The shed ... will be used by children (public) for Sunday school classes (so is kind of domestic).
I can't see how it being used as a classroom is a remotely domestic application. I've certainly never lived in a classroom!

I can't see how it being used as a classroom is a remotely domestic application. I've certainly never lived in a classroom!

Yep, wrong use of words there I agree, what I meant was it will be used specifically by the churchgoers (would they be categorized as the public ?) so want to find out if there are any part M regs that I need to be aware of (in relation to the electrical side) that would super-cede the exemption of part M (because its a small detached building), due to the fact that the public(?) would be using it. If you can understand that.

Im looking into it for the vicar, as yet nothing is off the ground but would like to know where he stands regarding the above. Its a bit of a minefield, hence my ramblings !

Reply to Part M, Consumer Unit Height in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net