Discuss Part P and confusion from course provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

angelboy

I have no previous electrical experience but wanted to complete a full house installation for my self build.

I understand that I can do this but would need to get the LA to check and sign off the work.

To try and help understand a little more I enquired to complete a Domestic Installer Part P course (with the local college) and was told that I didn't need to be an Electrician to take the course. They told me that they would teach a small amount of practical but focus on the regulations. After this course they told me that I could take a Installation and testing course that would qualify me to enter residential dwellings and test the electrics.

To comply with most 'competent persons' schemes it seems that they only accept qualified electrician which means that the courses I've enquired about seem pointless.

I don't want a career as an electrician and have no intentions of spending years on C&G courses. I'm happy to work on my own and family houses with guidance initially.

I can't imagine that the basics have changed for many many years, only the regulations to comply will have changed. If I understand these regulations then the practice and practical aspect for simple house circuits must be fairly easy to get a grasp of.

Should I take the Part P Domestic installer course?

What other 'positive' advice do you have?

Seriously i would not bother!! i would save the money and time and just pay a sparky to wire your house out!!

resons behind this

they can install quickly and highlight potential problems... (saving you £xxxx and --- amount of days
they have test equiptment (saving you £400+)
they can certificate the install (saving you £200+ LABC fees)
they will probably get stuff cheaper than you as well....!!

think about it long term...! dont be a skinflint and try and install on the cheap by doing silly courses!

how much is the course!!!??

I totally agree, this would take an extraordinary effort on your part to complete the installation and documentation-is it really worth it?

...What other 'positive' advice do you have?

Unfortunately, there isn't anything positive to say beyond what Durham has spelt out. I do understand that with a self-build, for many reasons, you will want to do the lot yourself, but domestic electrics has got very regulated and political these days. A sorry state of affairs, done with the best of intentions, but executed very poorly. So the only positive advice we can offer is, as Durham said, save yourself some aggro and costs by hiring in an expert.

I have no previous electrical experience Then Stay Clear
They told me that they would teach a small amount of practical
I could take a Installation and testing course that would qualify me to enter residential dwellings and test the electrics. hahahaha... yeah right most qualified sparks have 30% success rate
The courses I've enquired about seem pointless. you seem to be having some common sense now!
I'm happy to work on my own and family houses with guidance initially.oh spoke to soon.... kill ya family and friends first
Simple house circuits on paper yes in real life it is not so
Should I take the Part P Domestic installer course? you still going on about this course you called it pointless earlier

just took the highlights out

When I read this thread it really made me shudder.

Not Angelboy who started it, he could have left himself open to quite a lot of ridicule but the guys answers were great. So good on the OP for asking.

It was that college he contacted. We now got to the stage where a recognised college will promote a course to someone and as they said with no electrical background. Give them a few weeks course, the 2392 testing course and call them a domestic installer.

I think it is going to have to take a tradgedy for this to be stopped. How in a few weeks can you possibly imagine that someone without any previous experience be expected to install an electrical installation, carry out tests, interpret those tests.

How they are able to understand the nuances of Regs and then apply those regs, safely and with confidence is also I think not possible. Get 3 sparks in a room and I bet somewhere along the line they will disagree about either a reg or a PIR code and these courses expect someone with no experience to grasp all this in a few weeks.

Mods could we not get a shake our head in dismay icon!

Thanks for the responses, all food for thought.

Just a few additional questions that may be more pertinent to my situation.

How much would it cost to become fully qualified in domestic installations?

How much would you say the tools to do this would cost?

How long, in the shortest time possible, would it take to be able to get qualified?

------------------

How much would you charge for a 400sqm new build?

(6 bed, triple 2 storey garage, pool, several outbuildings, CCTV, many outside lights, electric gates, hard wired network, some smart features)

------------------

I'm assuming quite a substantial difference in costs but then again, maybe not.

I am happy to learn a new skill so a certain amount of cost within is valued and any large amounts of assets will no doubt have a resale value.

With regards material costs and a sparks getting cheaper than I can, first of all they'll still be a margin if the sparks hold a credit account so the saving will be more than likely not passed on and secondly the few people I've spoke to simply use screwfix. Maybe you can correct me and give me some examples of suppliers and material cost comparisons.

I have no specific time frame to complete the property so spending 4 weeks or even 8 weeks to first fix is not a problem.

I'll call my LA later today and see what they have to say, so I'll report back then.

Since my last posts I've spoken to the LA who confused me somewhat. They said that they require a 'competent person' to carry out the work. He said I could do my own work but would need to apply for building regs but then then he said he'd want an electrician to do the work....?!?! I must have got a bad one on the phone....I'll leave it till after the 1st when the new prices come in.

I also called Elecsa who told me the minimum requirements are the DI Part P and the 17th Edition then a half day assessment. After completing the Part P I can have an assessment just as long as I do the 17th Edition within the year but I wouldn't think I'd be ready anyway.

Does this sound more plausible?

Hi angel boy

I admire what you are trying i like many other sparks on here would say that it takes years to be confident to do electricial work !! I did not have the luck to do a apprentiship but found my feet by working with timed served sparks for the last 3 years ( part time ) .please do not be under the illusion that house bashing is easy because it is not !!! knowing what to do when it does not work ect rcd,s tripping where to run cables ect i still scratch my head and my knuckles ( bashing walls out ) i am not trying to put you off but in the real world no installation is the same and with many dwellings having had 20 years plus of diying ( often very badly ) they can be a real night mare !!

I understand you probably want to be able to say that the self build is 100% self and I would applaud you for this but I think you have possibly missed option C

Find a friendly local spark. ( there is bound to be one on here in your area) and see if you can engage him on a day rate basis with you acting as his "mate" under his guidance, instruction and supervision he will probably let you undertake most aspects without the danger of you . having to cope alone. There will be periods you won't need him onside e.g. There will be a long period of just chopping in back boxes and during this time if he marks them out for you he won't need to be there, you will still be able to arrange ur own materials.

This has to be a better option to strike up a relationship with a local tradesman and to spend your money on someone who will guide you, work with you and support you than the option of paying for training and winging it alone

I totally agree!

I've been under pressure to sign up to the Part P course from the local college but when I've investigated further I need to not only have the 17th Edition to be accepted by Elecsa, but I need to have a good knowledge of the actual practical aspect. This is something that I don't think I can commit the time to as it would run straight across the build schedule.

I think that when I'm closer to the time I'll do just that and labour for the sparks!

Reply to Part P and confusion from course provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock