Discuss Part P assessment and incorrect customer info in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm currently working at a small bakery conversion which has a flat above it. I want to use it as one of my jobs for my upcoming self certify assessment. I was told by the baker that he had been advised by the oven manufacturer that he needed a 63amp supply and this is what I quoted for. A supply and isolator were fitted by me weeks ago but the oven has turned up and it is rated at 85amps. The guy who sells the oven says they never run at anything near this which is why he advised our customer that only a 63amp supply was needed.
This is only my second assessment, but I want to be sure that it's something that it is something I should use as a job or not. The customer asked for 63amp 3 ph supply, I have given 63amp. The circuit isn't unsafe. The cable is more than protected. If the seller of the oven is right (probably taking into diversity, I don't know) then it will run fine and never trip.

I am worried though that the examiner will say why have you designed it for only 63 amps when the oven takes 85?

I've read the OSG and it says that diversity only applies to domestic ovens. However I will say that this oven is actually 5 ovens in one, kind of like lots of pizza ovens on top of each other so they will be kicking on and off all the time.

Any thoughts? Will the examiner agree with ' well the customer asked for it, you gave it and what you gave is safe'

I'm currently working at a small bakery conversion which has a flat above it. I want to use it as one of my jobs for my upcoming self certify assessment. I was told by the baker that he had been advised by the oven manufacturer that he needed a 63amp supply and this is what I quoted for. A supply and isolator were fitted by me weeks ago but the oven has turned up and it is rated at 85amps. The guy who sells the oven says they never run at anything near this which is why he advised our customer that only a 63amp supply was needed.
This is only my second assessment, but I want to be sure that it's something that it is something I should use as a job or not. The customer asked for 63amp 3 ph supply, I have given 63amp. The circuit isn't unsafe. The cable is more than protected. If the seller of the oven is right (probably taking into diversity, I don't know) then it will run fine and never trip.

I am worried though that the examiner will say why have you designed it for only 63 amps when the oven takes 85?

I've read the OSG and it says that diversity only applies to domestic ovens. However I will say that this oven is actually 5 ovens in one, kind of like lots of pizza ovens on top of each other so they will be kicking on and off all the time.

Any thoughts? Will the examiner agree with ' well the customer asked for it, you gave it and what you gave is safe'
The examiner cant say its not safe as the switchgear you've installed will fail safe in the event of an overload.
The only problem is that the supply may not be correct due to misinformation, not your fault.
Cover yourself with a letter expressing your concerns following delivery of the oven.

It should be installed to the manufacturers instructions. Not what some salesman says.
If anything was to fail in the future it’s your neck on the line.

It should be installed to the manufacturers instructions. Not what some salesman says.

Depends if he was told (albeit via the bakery) by a representative of the manufacturer. As already said, get something in writing.

I never had the manufacturers instructions. I was given a design
plan of what the customer needed via the builder and provided it. It was only later when the oven arrived I asked the question.
The question isn't really whether it 's unsafe,as it isn't. I suppose it's more to ask if it's the assessors job to assess whether I provided a safe design to my brief or a suitable circuit to the appliance.

I understand that if the oven keeps tripping then it will come down to me and the customer arguing about who pays for me to replace the cable, isolator and breaker.
However, lets say I put a clamp on it and it pulls no more than 50amps would the assessor still say why did you design it for only 63 amps when it clearly says on the oven 85?

Does it say 85 amps or is it in KW? Usually ovens indicate a higher KW rating than the recommended fuse size as they allow for some likely diversity

As said you need to follow maufacturers instructions can you not search online for them if they are unavailable, if you have a works order to install a 63a circuit which you have done, I wouldn't worry, it's not your issue, as long as the circuits properly protected worst case is a tripping fuse, as for the part P assessment I doubt it will be that thourough, it's normally just a Zs + rcd test at a local socket innit?

So the client hired you to provide him a 63 amp 3phase supply,and you did that,later on oven turns up at 85 amp,I can't see where that would be your fault.

Reply to Part P assessment and incorrect customer info in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net