Discuss part p assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martinh287

High guys had a large rewire land on my lap yesterday due to illness to another family member (electrician) first fix is already started it's possible to see all cable runs and all look ok (from part p perspective)

he has put the db board in the back hallway and has proposed a new supply to be installed at the other end of the building (bout 20m run to db board) I wouldn't have do it this way myself but the quote has been received from northern power grid for the new supply position. And to move the db board would mean stripping out 80% of the first fix cabling.

My initial idea before I go back for measurements plans etc is to run appropriately sized 3 core swa from Lucy position to db board along the floor which will then be covered by 50mm concrete and 10mm screed. Would then install 100 "s" type rcd at source regardless of supply type

The rewire would then need signing off.all year I have putting money away ready to sign up to a scam but now I'm worried this job is too risky ( may be a case of cold feet)
to base my assessment on which is why I am questioning the above mains idea and wether just to get building control in to assess for part p purposes and I just test the electrical installation and put in through my employers books.

any thoughts guys would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: part p needed or not

Have you got a mate would could see the work you've done and give his opinion?? A full rewire is a good one for an assessment as it covers so much of the regs!

Not someone who I would trust there opinion on this matter as I know it is something he is unfamiliar with himself. And the other electrician I do domestic work for who I do trust is unavailable till next week

Why don't you do a small scale job to get your assessment over with. Then your experience and knowledge will grow and by a years time on your next visit, you will be more confident and sure of the work that you do

One thing about Elecsa is that they will let you submit a job "not complete" so you could take the plunge and book you assessment now. Then you would have the scheme membership in the bag before the jobs complete??

as murdoch says. 1 thing i noticed from your post is that the 20m of SWA will require a switch fuse (60A or 80A depending on the SWA CSA) at source.

A small job would have been good for the assessment but like said this job landed on my lap and it's a good job to cut my teeth alone.

Didn't realise you were in the area Murdoch. Good to know a local spark

A small job would have been good for the assessment but like said this job landed on my lap and it's a good job to cut my teeth alone.

Didn't realise you were in the area Murdoch. Good to know a local spark

Talk to elecsa, they do allow part "jobs" - especially if its large and I think as long as you can demonstrate dead tests you should be OK.

Think you need to consult a map, I wasn't aware that Bishop Auckland was near Surrey!

Think you need to consult a map, I wasn't aware that Bishop Auckland was near Surrey

Sorry Murdoch miss understanding of your previous post

Why don't you do a small scale job to get your assessment over with. Then your experience and knowledge will grow and by a years time on your next visit, you will be more confident and sure of the work that you do

I'd agree with this too, you don't want to make your assessment harder than necessary!

Pull yourself together man, these assessments are a complete anti climax, do the job to bs7671 & part p of building regs and that's it.....the assessor probably will know as much (or as little) as you and will most definitely not even bother to look at majority of the job… so take it easy in the knowledge that you've probably passed as soon as your cheque cleared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to part p assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net