Discuss Part P Building Regs addition of socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Forum

Struggling to get my head round interrupting the Building regulations

The building regulations 4(3) require that on completion of work in an existing building, the building should comply with the current building regulations, or if it did not comply before the work began, be no worse in terms of the level of compliance......

Would the addition of a new socket to an old installation be acceptable (the old installation is not compliant with current part P i.e. BS7671 17th A3 for example no RCD for sockets).
1, Would the installation now be worse in level of compliance?
2, I say worse in compliance as there is now the additional risk of a new socket, rather than i.e, the replacement of a socket?

Thanks
iain

Any new work must comply with the requirements laid out in BS7671. The addition of a new socket would not be notifiable under the current version of part P in England, but would be in Wales dependant on the location of the socket.

Last edited:
In my example would an RCD have to be installed to make the new additinal socket compliant with current regs or this unecessary?

All new electrical work must comply with BS7671 so the rules in BS7671 regarding RCD protection for socket outlets would have to be followed.

Not sure why you are leading this question with Part P.

New circuits and / or alterations to circuits are covered by BS7671 AMD3, Part P comes next and depends on which UK country you are in !

The electrician will have to RCD protect the new socket(s), in reality the easiest and most logical way to do this is to RCD protect the whole circuit.

Hi Forum

Struggling to get my head round interrupting the Building regulations

The building regulations 4(3) require that on completion of work in an existing building, the building should comply with the current building regulations, or if it did not comply before the work began, be no worse in terms of the level of compliance......

Would the addition of a new socket to an old installation be acceptable (the old installation is not compliant with current part P i.e. BS7671 17th A3 for example no RCD for sockets).
1, Would the installation now be worse in level of compliance?
2, I say worse in compliance as there is now the additional risk of a new socket, rather than i.e, the replacement of a socket?

Thanks
iain

If the old installation did not have RCD protection, then you would have to make sure the new socket (AND cable if concealed in a wall <50mm) had RCD protection. I would think the easiest and best way to do this would be to see if an RCBO fits in the old board, if not then perhaps an RCD in a separate enclosure by the CU. With both of these options you are supplying RCD protection for the whole circuit so it makes things safer and also your life (or another sparks life) easier if you have to add more sockets in the future.

If the above isn't an option then an RCD fused spur to protect the new cable and socket could be located next to the socket you are are taking the supply from.

So the answer is you can add to an existing installation even if the existing installation does not meet current regulations, but your 'addition or alteration' needs to comply with current regulations, this is seen in Reg 610.4

Not sure why you are leading this question with Part P.

New circuits and / or alterations to circuits are covered by BS7671 AMD3, Part P comes next and depends on which UK country you are in !

Actually Part P is England & Wales only. Not only is notification to Building Control not required here, but Section P of the Building Regulations is about something else entirely (Sanitary appliances, unvented hot water storage systems and reducing the risk of scalding).

Actually Part P is England & Wales only. Not only is notification to Building Control not required here, but Section P of the Building Regulations is about something else entirely (Sanitary appliances, unvented hot water storage systems and reducing the risk of scalding).
The OP hasn't eluded on how he/she intends to install the new socket, new circuit? And last time I looked Approved document P, refers to electrical safety in (England), not sure which document refers to plumbing stuff. PS unless OP lives somewhere else like Ireland or N Ireland?

Last edited:
The OP hasn't eluded on how he/she intends to install the new socket, new circuit? And last time I looked Approved document P, refers to electrical safety in (England), not sure which document refers to plumbing stuff. PS unless OP lives somewhere else like Ireland or N Ireland?

My point was that Part P in England and Part P in Wales is not Part P in Scotland or in Ireland.

Building Regulations vary by jurisdiction.

Incidentally, I don't know where the OP is based. (Judging by the name I would plump for Scotland.) My point to him was that RCD protection etc. was a matter for the Wiring Regulations rather than the Building Regulations, which are a completely separate document and written by different people.

My point was that Part P in England and Part P in Wales is not Part P in Scotland or in Ireland.

Building Regulations vary by jurisdiction.

Incidentally, I don't know where the OP is based. (Judging by the name I would plump for Scotland.) My point to him was that RCD protection etc. was a matter for the Wiring Regulations rather than the Building Regulations, which are a completely separate document and written by different people.
My point exactly :13:

Reply to Part P Building Regs addition of socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net