Discuss part p confused in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BARRAKAS NAKKAS

hi all i am a recently qualified domestic electrician and was tought that any work out doors was notifiable. just phoned building control about installing some garden lighting and was told that i didnt need to let them know,does this rule vary from city to city or is the person on the other end of the phone line more confused than me.:confused:

Any works out side power or light needs to be notified ,and its the same rule for every one unless your in scotland that is where i think the rules differ , but it does sound about right ,as i had last night a councillor tell my customer that the notification notice she recieved for some out side lights means nothing nice eh

I get confused about this - so apologies - but as far as i remember any new circuit is notifiable, anything in a special location(eg bathroom/garden) or a kitchen is notifiable. However, i do seem to remember something about lights mounted on the outside of a house, being taken off existing circuit (with every thing out of reach on the outside), as not being notifiable(?) is this your case, or are the lights actually in the garden, in which case i agree definitely notifiable (unless plug in ELV kit)

i checked on my list from elecsa table of notifiable works and it just states external lighting minor works or major works if it plugs in the no as its external to the installation and not fixed

i checked on my list from elecsa table of notifiable works and it just states external lighting minor works or major works if it plugs in the no as its external to the installation and not fixed

I think it was on this forum that i came across this "loophole" (that is assuming i'm remembering it correctly). I suppose it just depends on the definition of "external" if the cabling is inside the house and it is just a light mounted on the outside illuminating the garden does that count as a special location :confused:

It makes no difference if the wiring of the circuit is internal and the fitting is the only part on the outside. If the works fall within the house or the garden, they fall under the Part P notification umbrella. It would always be a prudent move to check the Part P document for the full list of notifiable jobs. I believe these lights would be classed as being “garden lighting” by your description.

Last edited by a moderator:
MWC is not needed if like for like. you are not modifying the circuit.

cheers for the replies guys there seems to be confusion over the mwc, i would atleast do a earth loop before i start

cheers for the replies guys there seems to be confusion over the mwc, i would atleast do a earth loop before i start
IR test and polarity useful tests as well. just how far do we sometimes go.

Reply to part p confused in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock