Discuss Part P confusion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gaz26

Hi there guys. I've been an electrician for 14 yrs working for a company who were registered with niceic. I'm now thinking of setting up on my own. I've heard of people doing part p courses to work in domestic premises but my q is . Do i need to do a part p course to learn how to do domestic houses even though i allready have all the relevant qualifications ie nvq l3 , AM2, 17th regs and 2391 inspec and testing. surely this course would be irrelevent . also ,do i need to be part of niceic to sign off work because i've always thought that if u had the 2391 inspec n testing it meant u were competant and could do this .

thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light.

Part P covers appropriate building regs,Parts A,B,C,E,L,M.

Without Part P and registration you would have to go through LABC every time except for non notifiable work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically it depends on the work you'll be doing. If it's industrial or commercial, then you won't need to bother with Part P (or LABC).
If you're doing notifiable work in domestic premises you'll need to inform LABC before you start and pay their fee (generally ÂŁ50 to ÂŁ100 I think), so if you're doing much of this it's much better to be part of a competant persons scheme (part P) and the price drops to a couple of pounds.
Having said all that, with the qualification you have, you'll be able to apply to any of the competant person schemes without doing a part P course, although if you talk to the training companies, some of them willl still try to get you on their course.

The label "Part P" course is very misleading. You do not do these courses and then become "Part P" as some seem to think. These courses show you how to carry out installations to current regulations and standards (which in your case it appears that won´t be necessary?).

To become "Part P" you need to register with one of the FIVE bodies (The NIC ísn´t the only one), pay your money and then approx 6 weeks later an assessor will go out with you during half a day to inspect your work. If all ok then you get approved (only to repeat the process 12 months later).

don't mean to be contradicting anyone but note:

On completion of works the competent person is required to formally declare that the works comply with parts 4 and 7 of the building regulations in addition to BS7671.

I guess if your confident that you can do this don't bother with Part P but the requirements of Part P apply to all installation works in dwellings.

Page 18 OSG

To set up on your own, you really will need to regsiter with a part p scheme. Forgetting everything about building control, notifiable work etc, Joe Public often ask if you are 'part p' and if you're not, they won't have you.

With an NVQ lev 3 though, you would not have to do the course. Just ring up elecsa, NIC or whoever, tell them you want to register, fork over your ÂŁ450 and wait for one of their assessors to turn up. If you demonstrate to him that you are 'competent' you will then have a year's worth of nutritious Vitamin P.

I agree with Amp David your qualifications are more than sufficient to be the tutor never mind the course. Its a sad fact that no matter what your qualifications you need part P for domestic work or involve LABC.

To be a domestic sparky you need the EAL VRQ and the 17th within 12 months compare that with what you already have.

Good luck

Chris

agree with David,

i never did that VRQ thingy that is touted about as i deemed it not required..! think they cahrge ÂŁ700 for that qual)

i just went to elecsa and registered..! they assessed me suitably qualified and let me loose!

Part P covers appropriate building regs,Parts A,B,C,E,L,M.

Without Part P and registration you would have to go through LABC every time except for non notifiable work.

Part P is a building reg, as are A,B,C,E,L and M part P does not cover these it is on a par with them

Yes P is on par with them but it regulates compliance with the others too thats why its there isn't or apparently one of the reasons. A lot of highly qualified electricians with superior knowledge than needed in domestic were going into a domestic and not knowing and breaching build regs although they live in a domestic environment. Thats what I was made to believe any way. I guess its all down to the scheme provider if they will let you loose and registered is all you need to be competent? But remember it is down to you and you only to comply with build regs then, but thats why we have our regs books isn't it. Good luck and regards.

Reply to Part P confusion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net