Discuss Part P :: Cooker switch, Distance from Cooker Hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DaveyD

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi

Looking at IEE's guide to building regs in 5.2 Kitchens: I understand that sockets should be > 300mm from a sink (5.2.2 iv) and cooker switches should not be over the hob (5.2.2 ii) but only the illustration shows 300mm for the cooker switch nothing in the text. Would you think a Napit instector would pick up on a cooker switch 200mm from the hob?

Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards
David

As far as Im aware, there isnt a minimum distance away from the cooker, as long as it isnt directly above it, then it should be fine.

The 300mm you are talking about refers to distance away from the sink, so as long as the cooker switch isnt close to the sink aswell then I cant forsee any problems.

As far as Im aware, there isnt a minimum distance away from the cooker, as long as it isnt directly above it, then it should be fine.

The 300mm you are talking about refers to distance away from the sink, so as long as the cooker switch isnt close to the sink aswell then I cant forsee any problems.
Thanks you Dazza, it was the fact it mentioned 300mm in the illustration - a mistake?

look at it another way;
an outside switch is protected against the ingress of water because it is outside, if a switch is near a source of heat...

not no further than 2m and not directly over hob from what i take from all the blaaaaaaaaaaa

It's recomendation, >300 rule. as long as you as the designer of the installation are happy that the posisition I'n which you have located it, is practicable and there are no other factors affecting it's safe operation 200mm should suffice.

Let me know how you get on. good luck. This will clear things up

The main problem with cooker switches too close to the appliance comes when it has a socket outlet. What you need to avoid is the possibility of someone plugging something in, and then putting the plugged in appliance down onto a hot hob, or the hob getting turned on with an appliance sat on it (like i did whilst drunk on holiday one year and destroyed a toaster). So if the cooker switch is a bit too close and it has a socket then replace it for one without a socket. Obviously common sense should prevail if the thing is just too close altogether.

Cheers........Howard

The main problem with cooker switches too close to the appliance comes when it has a socket outlet. What you need to avoid is the possibility of someone plugging something in, and then putting the plugged in appliance down onto a hot hob, or the hob getting turned on with an appliance sat on it (like i did whilst drunk on holiday one year and destroyed a toaster). So if the cooker switch is a bit too close and it has a socket then replace it for one without a socket. Obviously common sense should prevail if the thing is just too close altogether.

Cheers........Howard

Yes it has a socket. I think its fine at 200mm and dont want to move it right again right in a corner BUT wonder why no mention in text just in illustration. Anyone know of where the text is for >300mm from a cooker hob? I want to get this right.
Kind Regards
David

Just bumping some threads in the Electrical Wiring Theories and Regulations forum category here on our Electricians Forums. If this specific topic isn't current, just ignore it, it'll drop off the list in no time. However, if it's something you'd like to contribute to, feel free to reply and bring it back into current discussion.

Reply to Part P :: Cooker switch, Distance from Cooker Hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock