Discuss Part P - Do I need inspection and testing 2391 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robjgriff

Hi Again

Just chatting with a friend who has part P and 2391 etc
I was advised by the niceic that they would sign off 2 of my jobs and just ask me to inspect and test as long as I had the 17th Ed.
My mate seems to think that 2391 is a must if you want to sign off new installations and not just alterations?

Basic advice needed again - sorry, you must be fed up with this type of questions

Thanks
Rob

You dont need the 2391 to inspect & test, you just need to be compotent at it. For some domestic installations you will either need to be a scham member, or notify the LABC at a very high cost.

Jay

Hum, you don;t need the 2391, as Jay Sparks says, but depending on the type of job you are doing you do need to be a member of a Scam or pay the extorsionate LABC fees

You DO NOT need to be a registered contractor to inspect & test. I have never found any law or wiring regulation which states this. You just need to know how to do it correctly, and to understand what you are testing, why you are testing, and to know what the test results actually mean. 2391 is, or was a course which ran alongside the old 16th Edition (2381) course, and is a valuable qualification in it's own right. Things have changed since, as the scam and training providors attempt to dream up ever-increasing ways of parting you with your hard-earned money. Basically, as I understand it, 2391, which was once considered a good old fashioned and valued examination, is in the process of being dumbed down to the same extent as the old 2381 was. I'm not going anywhere near the newer NVQ (No Viable Qualification) route and am hoping that 'Grandfather Rights will be afforded to those who took the time and trouble to get themselves properly qualified all those years ago.

If you're testing and inspecting, whilst there is no "certificate" needed, as others have pointed out you do need to demonstrate competance. Competance can only be gained by designing, installing is a variety of installations over time, so I guess only you know how prepared you are.

Registration to a scheme, whilst not necessary becomes "useful" if and when you are required to do remedial works.....

Imo every electrician should be able to test his/her own work

I fully agree with you. Although it isnt a requirement, and some people will need to get experience to do it, we should all be working towards being able to test our work, but in any case they should be able to inspect their work and know whether or not it meets the requirements, and know that the test engineer will not encounter any problems. Testing, although it isn't rocket science, has to be done properly with the right amount of knowledge, and in my opinion, a good electrician may not necessarily be a competent test electrician. Hence we have the 3 signature forms.

Cheers...........Howard

You don't need 2391 (now 2395) to sign off your own work or to become a member of NIC EIC. I got in building control to sign of the rewire I did at my mates house, and I put a light in my loft. Then I got NIE EIC to come and assess that I was competent in installation and testing. You will need a Lv3 and 17th ed though.

I do Recommend you do C&G 2394 for education on initial verification.

When I came out of my time i had to tick a box which states am a registered electrician also i have to keep up todate with 18th amendments to keep registered electrician status even though i am not part of the competent person scheme I smell scam scam scam its about time we told ecs JIB and everyother provider who emotionally blackmail tradesmen to ............

Last edited by a moderator:
When the NVQ first appeared it prompted the "Not Very Qualified" tag

A friend of my sister in law was an NVQ assessor she applied for a new job and was told because she didn't have an NVQ she couldn't be considered for the job

For a number of years I sat on the CIC NVQ assessment committee, but I still never heard "No Viable Qualification" I suppose it was inevitable that "Viable" and "Very" would be transposed.

Reply to Part P - Do I need inspection and testing 2391 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net